Shoutbox (Disabled)

Wish: Fully Voiced Dialogue

Discussion in 'Feedback and Wishlist' started by Virxai, Mar 27, 2015.

1. Virxai

Virxai New Member

I realize that I have no real idea the amount of work this would require, but I cannot help but smile at the thought of being able to listen to every character talk to me. Having a fully voiced script would add a lot of charm to the game, I feel. While the text-only option is certainly the safest and easiest, there's something to be said about how the character comes alive when there's actual pacing and inflection in their words that aren't your own. In addition, I think that the various 'cues' that characters give might become more apparent to the player, giving them the ability to better 'read between the lines' and judge the character's disposition before selecting a reply or action.

Unrealistic? Perhaps. Doesn't mean I can't wish for it.

Omega212, Nadia and Sardix like this.
  2. Sardix

Sardix New Member

I would also have ALOT!! of interest for something like this!! So on count my +1 for this Idea.. I was going to mention this myself but Virxai beat me to it.

I'd love the chance to Audition.

In my honest opinion to only have text for characters while fine doesn't have ample feeling.. ( Spoilers for who hasn't played the beta stop reading here). When Coby said that he got dumped by the friend coming over, Via text I never really felt like he was upset about it although the multiple ellipsis and the look on his face helped. Feeling can't be perceived easily through writing, while the animations will assist greatly in how they are feeling, nothing in my opinion works better than a voice actor.

Just my two cents..

Thanks Virxai for making a thread for this valuable wish!!

3. Lennian

Lennian Dark Lord of Team Amorous Team Amorous

This has a lot of work involved, that doesn't mean its a bad idea. We initially wanted to do the minor voice work for similar reasons: spice it up, with the option to turn it off for those who really don't like it. I guess we can do a same thing for fully voiced stuff. However, this is @Jasonafex' baby, as a team we have to agree on doing something like this. While I like the idea, the amount of work required to orchestrate proper audio sessions is going to be insane, so if at all, this might not happen soon. Also considering the dialogue is still constantly shifting.

Sardix likes this.
  4. Sardix

Sardix New Member

All valid points, perhaps when there is a more formalized version of the Dialogue this could be a possibility! I look forward to seeing how this goes..

If calls to Audition were to be posted where would it be posted most likley??? I'd love to follow what ever that is, to make sure I can get my foot in the door and at least be given the chance to Audition if it is given the go ahead that is by Jasonafex.

Thanks for the timely response Lennian, and have a wonderful rest of the day/night!

5. Patrigue

Patrigue Member

I just have a couple of questions regard voice work in the game.

Firstly, I remember in between the releases of v0.1 and v0.2 that the file size of the game was one of the major problems. If something like a fully voiced script was actually included, how much would that jack up the size of the game?

Secondly, Lennian when you say "minor voice work" what exactly do you mean? Do you mean, like, just for the sex scenes? Or are there other scenes I can't think of? I don't mean to pry like a tool or anything; it's just every time I hear "minor voice work" it sounds really vague.

I don't mind whether or not there's voice work, but I think focusing on the game's dialogue and fixing any bugs should come first. However, when the game is completed, an additional patch with some good VA work would definitely add to the Amorous experience.

6. Virxai

Virxai New Member

As I recall from a Jasonafex journal (which I am unable to locate), the voice work was strictly for a character gallery type of thing as well as moans/breathing during the sex scenes. I think that, while in the 'character gallery', there's a few phrases/quotes you can listen to while you view them in this out-of-game/on-the-side tidbit. I don't think there's any current plan for in-game voices. Correct me if I'm wrong!

7. Jasonafex

Jasonafex Team Amorous Team Amorous

We kept things to simple mannerisms, similar to how things work in Fire Emblem: Awakening so players can create a bias of how they imagine the character would speak and behave. If Coby is too flamboyant or has an accent, it may throw some players off as an example.

Some microphones differ in quality, when there are long recordings, those differences are easier to spot. Most of our actors aren't professionals either, so things may sound very much like a B movie.

Lastly, it would be absurd to expect users to voice thousands of lines for free, we would blow most of our budget just on the VA, when the benefit is very minor.

drameron, RoyArtorius and Nadia like this.
  8. Azure

Azure New Member

I approve of the idea of minor voice work in dialogue. Similar to Persona 3's first take. When a character's first to start speaking in a line of dialogue, something short, succinct and cute should be what is heard.

For Skye it'd just be 'hey' or 'hey again' depending on if you've met her already. for our handsome bartender his first line on introduction would be, well, exactly what he asks you! 'want a drink?' ... I think that'd be cute <3

also it'd be a great compromise between fully voiced dialogue, and completely silent. It'd be less work on the VAs and the programmers ^v^ The situations can fit the little vocal snippets, just enough little touches.... Like... Like Jason's flash animations! <3 he has a few VA stuff in those, and each snippet is barely three seconds or so, depending on the flash, accounting for changing 'scenes', breathing... etcetera <3 um. I hope this idea is alright. ^^

9. Sardix

Sardix New Member

This I think could be a good Idea!!
    Or repeatable lines, like "Yes" and "no", or "Hmmm" thinking about something.. at points during dialogue..

I know this doesn't mean much as I am a bit of a nobody when it comes to Voice Acting in the Furry community, but Amorous is a game I'm already in love with even in it's beta form.. As a voice actor I'd willingly donate countless hours and thousands of lines for free... I surely can't be the only one.

But as Lennian said

So at the end of the day, I respect your choice and will be happy regardless as all your points are very valid..!!

Omega212 and Patrigue like this.
  10. Nadia

Nadia Member

I like the idea of having fully voiced dialogue in the game, but I can understand the reasons why this is not not possible right now, and why Jasonafex is against it.

To be willing to do something, and realy doing it are two entirely different things.

It would require a lot of work and a lot of time to make all the dialog in a decent quality, and I know from my own experience that people who are doing work on such projects for free, can quite easy lose their motivation when they realise how much work it realy is, and how much free time they have to sacrifice to finish such a project.

11. Sardix

Sardix New Member

I completely understand that it requires alot of work, and to some extent I'd almost take offence to your statement altho I know you do not mean to offend.... I've done plenty of free work for other people, for things with thousands of lines if not more, and spending months of recording time to get the lines perfect.. I realize there are people who would lose their motivation hence why you mentioned it... But voice acting is the way I express myself... Others do it though art, animation and music and countless other things.. For me It's voice acting..

I've already personally recorded all the current in-game dialogue in various voices.. ( keeping them to myself as practise and reference not to be posted without the consent of Jasonafex ofcourse)

Obviously my word isn't good enough.. But I'm not one to offer my time if I am not going to see it through..

Nadia likes this.
  12. Nadia

Nadia Member

You can be sure that I did not mean to offend you, but sadly most people are not as dedicated as you seem to be, and that is the problem here.

Sardix likes this.
  13. Clane

Clane Team Amorous Team Amorous

Hey all,

My name is Clane and I'll be the resident sound guy over here on the project.

While I can't speak to the financial logistics, I agree with Jasonafex's creative choice in this particular matter. Sometimes it's best to give the player just enough information to build the scene, and let them mentally fill in the blanks. Trust me, it's not easy to say, as I personally love the effect VO can have on a project. But again, from my personal experience, I believe this is the right choice.

However, its good to hear that people are voicing their opinions on the matter, as it always helps to know what the fans are thinking. Please continue to let us know what you want to see!

Scrydan and Sardix like this.
  14. Scrydan

Scrydan Active Member Team Amorous Supporter Dark Army Enthusiast

I agree as well with this view. As a story writer, I also know how important it is to paint the scene but allow the beholder to imagine certain things too so that they become and feel more involved. An example of something that VO can make bad (only if deployed /voice direction goes incorrectly but still):
    Skip to 1m 35s.

"You probably shouldn't laugh anymore..." For a reason. :p (Still, it is funny - and I do love the game still.)

But with that as an example, it is hard to picture Tidus any other way with that voice- especially that laugh. So without a voice, you probably might imagine other things if you just read some text. So it really is up to the developer whether or not they want to leave certain details up to imagination. Some of the best scenes in a game can be those that to this day are still up to lots of interpretation. Either way, I do think the direction is a good one but it still never hurts to tell them what you feel towards the game so that it can be the best it can be. :3

15. Sardix

Sardix New Member

This is a Good example where Voice acting can make something worse..

16. Xean

Xean New Member

I'm personally against this since it limits everyone's imagination of their fave characters' voices. but whatever.

RoyArtorius likes this.
  17. Lennian

Lennian Dark Lord of Team Amorous Team Amorous

It would be an on/off feature. So you make those who like it happy and those who don't like it as well at the same time.

18. Xean

Xean New Member

Well that would make everyone happy! :D

19. Arcticwolf155

Arcticwolf155 New Member

If you need a voice actor I would be happy to try not sure if I'll be any good though
    If you want to hear my voice my skype is Shorty.Ahn

20. Cyborg-Lucario

Cyborg-Lucario Active Member

I would have been interested in doing the voice of at least one character in the game. But I don't think you want any character to have a swedish accent.
    Also, I don't want you to blow money on a let's player to do some voice acting when you can use the resources for the game itself. :p