Shoutbox (Disabled)

Wish: Choices and Consequences

Discussion in 'Feedback and Wishlist' started by Virxai, Mar 27, 2015.

?

Should the player should be limited in how many dates they can pursue at once?

1. Nope! Date them all with no consequences! (Who cares? It's a furry dating sim!)

2. Yep! Date just one at a time! (Investment in a single character makes it more worthwhile!)

3. Maybe? Multiple dates would increased risk! (If your date(s) find out, let's hope they don't mind!)

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Virxai

Virxai New Member

It was mentioned in another thread that there might be a way to get most, if not all, of the characters to sleep with you on the same playthrough. It is my opinion that this would be a disservice to the player by making the game too accessible with even less replay value. In my opinion, it would be better to limit the player to just one date at a time and have them get back to the Amorous club to try a different character should they miss an opportunity with their first choice.

Having to make a choice as a player is almost always a pivotal point in the gaming experience for me. Through these choices I, as a player, learn more about myself, my desires and my priorities (If I'm being serious at the time). Making these choices means I'll have to forego other desirable options (for now). Next time maybe I'll play as a different 'me', one with a personality tailored for another target character. It could be a whole new experience rather than trying to be the perfect guy/gal for everyone in the game all at once!

Additionally, if you've got 7 'serious' dating options all at once, then might the player be less inclined to maintain just one? Limiting the player's ability to date multiple characters could put more emphasis on making it work out the first time! What if they mess up and the character gets mad and leaves? Well, they could load a save, obviously. What if they aren't the type to load saves? Go back to Amorous and start anew with the character you let down no longer conversationable (new word alert).

Furthermore, would it be 'fair' to the characters to be dating others behind their backs? Wouldn't that lead them to believe the player was 'untrustworthy'? Maybe some characters would be alright with you dating multiple people while others would up-and-leave the moment they caught wind? If there was a point in the game where they might find out (by running into another interest of yours while on a date and causing an awkward), then perhaps I could see how dating multiple folks would be a game mechanic: increasing dates also increases the risk of losing said dates. Having such a feature would add to the game rather than detract.

There's catering to your audience and then there's leading them by the hand to the unending trough, filled with your hard labor for them to slap their face in and devour with minimal effort. I would vote to limit the player to just one serious relationship at a time.

TL;DR - Just my two cents. I like the game to be challenging with consequences for your actions so that you can't have all the dates at the same time. Make us choose! Make us play the game! (Unless multiple dates mean the risk of being found out and dumped by some characters).

Ooh~ what a nifty polling thingy. May I try?

2. Tarou

Tarou New Member

For me, personally, I'd rather to just sticking to one dating route at a time. It makes it feel like you actually invest time and care about the characters more when you're one on one with them instead of running all over the place banging other people.

Though if the decision does happen to make it so you can go after who you want, when you want, then I'd hope there would at least be some sort of consequence for it if the other characters found out! (Like how it says in the poll)

It would be interesting though to see what it would be like to try and date multiple characters at once, it just cuts back on the character development, I would assume, and for some reason kind of make it feel like an easy victory if I got to screw everyone all at once.

And then what after that? There would be nothing else to play in the game if you did it that way.

I won't mind if they put in that option for other people though, since I could still simply do it one by one on my own! So I guess if you wanted to make the vast majority happy you'd go with the "No. It's a furry dating sim, who cares?" poll option.

3. Robyn

Robyn Active Member

Reading this reminded me of my playthrough of Morenatsu. You play as someone who meets your old friends again after months without even talking to them. And, at the very start, you are given the option to pick one out of the 8 available characters and stick with them untill the end, going through all sorts of emotional obstacles together, to see if, at the end, you've managed to reach a good ending - meaning you and the character selected did actually start dating - or a bad ending - which means exactly what you think it means: you two aren't together. One of my favourite things of the game is that it rewards your dedication as you continuously attempt to be together with a selected friend by showing you a sex picture if you do manage to get... "personal" with him. And I think this type of gameplay - in which you can't go from one relationship to another, let alone have 5 or more at once, and actually stick to the one you picked - really fits this type of scenario because, as you play, you discover more reasons why you and him went from childhood friends to something more intimate, and you do understand and enjoy the whole dramatic path you have to go through before the relationship between the two is established, and it makes sense why you would want to be with him, and only him, all throughout the game instead of lustfully going for other people. This game's more romance and less lewd from start to finish.

With Amorous tho...

I can see how a romance relationship could fit in the middle of this, but, from how I see it, I think it would make more sense if this was more of a "can you get as many people" game instead of a "can you find the right one" type of thing. Yes, you are introduced as a guy/girl who's tired of being lonely all the time and you ponder about being in a relationship, but, at the very first part of the game, I was able to hookup with the bartender of a nightclub that my brother introduced me to. It doesn't seem all that romantic.

However, I can still see a path that the game could take from that and would still make it really enjoyable. The player would indirectly be given the option to simply play the game in a way that he'll attempt to hook up with as many people as he can in different locations and circumstances, or attempt to stick with a selected character and actually try to have more of an intimate relationship with him/her. It could be both interesting and challenging for the player, giving that he could just pick the easy route and get his sex scene right there and be done with it, or he could stick with a whole playthrough, go through given obstacles and see how things turn out to be in the end, making the whole experience, along with, of course, the sex scene, as something more rewarding than accumulative, consequently also being really entertaining.

Tarou likes this.
  4. Virxai

Virxai New Member

From what I gather, you're saying that, based on the actions and choices of the player, the sex could be almost a given (almost), while the reasons and results of that intimacy could be either noncommittal or endearing and meaningful. That you could make shallow choices through the game and still end up 'doing it' with a lot of them, but no real solid relationships at the end. Or, by focusing on just one, you could get an ending with more depth, meaning, and character development. On one hand: Many Butt-Buddies. On the other, One Lover. Am I correct? If so, I like this idea, and I wonder if such direction has already been taken by the devs.

5. Robyn

Robyn Active Member

Yep! That's exactly what I said.

6. Lennian

Lennian Dark Lord of Team Amorous Team Amorous

The idea of the game is the player can do whatever he wants. It's a simulator, not a game with a set path, so you can go yolo, you can also act how you would in real life. The simulator might actually also get back to you as would happen in real life ;) I don't think your current date will like it if you have five others behind his/her back.

However, I agree some of the dialogues currently in the game are rather shallow and personally wish this would be more focused on getting slowly into dating with some rather than "saying the right thing to get laid". In v0.2, you can just exit the chat and retry. Skye was a taste of whats to come. You can actually piss her off and make her leave Club Amorous, meaning you will have to find her elsewhere to apologize.

7. Robyn

Robyn Active Member

Oh yes, please. I remember how obnoxious it was for me to just talk to the bartender over and over again 'till I finally got the right path. Hell, I think I even managed to go to the right path again after I was already done with him.

As for the whole "simulator" thing, I think that's also what I've been saying. Player's given the choice to either go around and try to sleep with everyone available, or try to maintain a relationship with someone specifically. Either way, it sounds like fun!

8. Sardix

Sardix New Member

For me, I would definitely prefer to have one date at a time, I realize this game isn't real life.. But it's not okay at least in my mind to string people along.. Games have Save files for a reason.. if you REALLY want to date multiple people... Start another save.. that is why they are there..

But that is just my opinion, I voted for one at a time..

I managed to get the path first off, ( spoilers don't read further) It was clear to me that as a Drink artisan he should be given creative freedom to make you something extra special, smashing the bottle even though you shouldn't have to pay for it.. If I was in a bar I'd still personally offer to pay for it, it sounded like an amazing performance.. I guess my personality and his matched.. because It was just Exactly what I would do..

Also speaking of the bartender, there is a Bug with his Vest and what not.. I'll have to have another look but a certain choice makes it disappear..

I will make a bug report or what ever one I find out exactly where it is..

9. Robyn

Robyn Active Member

Oh yeah, his vest disappears once you mention it to him and then suddenly comes back. I remember that.

10. Lennian

We are aware of that problem, someone who made the dialogues accidentally ticked a box to change clothes, but left the clothes empty. So he changes to not wearing anything. If someone knows the path to reproduce the issue please file a report in the other section, would help immensely since we don't have to hunt it for ourselves then.

11. Jasonafex

Jasonafex Team Amorous Team Amorous

We wanted to provide a small sense of end-game, where you can still visit the character even after achieving the payoff for small dialogue interactions and to seak a rewatch of their intimate encounter. It is entirely up to the player whether they want to create 13 saves, one for each character, or date characters in succession on one file.

12. Azure

Azure New Member

Consequences and such depend on the character. Remember the golden rule: The plot bends to the character, the character should not bend to the plot.

As in, a promiscuous character that doesn't mind two at a time would not get upset at making a pass on another character that he or she may be interested in. It all depends on the characters... this also opens up two things.

1: more options to write plotlines that go down those roads. 2: more options for complications and satisfying situations*tm on the part of the player.

Obviously, this is more work... so if the 'team' wants to keep it one date at a time, then that's completely okay.

My first thought is, this game had an intent to be more 'sandbox' and not so much graphic novel, which would be aided by the multiple dating scheme. Time could also play a factor, as in, each action taking up time, divided not in numbers, but in scenes. Morning > Noon > Evening > Night > ..... think, Persona... Good sweet Celestia do I love that game <3 ... that's probably a factor in why this game drew me in so much.

In addition to the possibility of such scenes, this also opens nice paths of dialogue trees. Would the characters talk to each other at all? since it's a relatively small 'resort' type town?... As a former Floridian, the sunshine (and sweat) state, I can say that not only do clothes become slimmer and more revealing, so do lives. Very easy to get into other peoples' business. But again, this depends on the character and their plot, their story.

Ooh, I wish I had more info! <3 <3 the ideas are running about in my head like rabbits, (multiplying like them too)

Also, my apologies if my social philosophy clashes with sardix, I mean to offend no one. I'm just... I guess I'm just that kind of nice person that thinks everyone can have fun and not get all emotionally damaged or whatever... That is something that should also come into play actually. As long as the MC is honest with those he/she is getting involved with and doesn't try to string others along or go behind their tails (or the equivalent) then everything should be fine... in theory.

I've said it too many times, but "It all depends on the Character" ... maybe it won't all be fine, if one character is in a moral or emotional stance that reinforces monogamy, then that's perfectly okay too. It really depends on where the game wants to go, and how it wishes to go about it... I won't start being preachy for or against 'casual', this is fantasy we're dealing with. I'm just trying to think of the plot lines... what some characters will do, what you guys would Want to do. This is your game after all, I'm just throwing ideas at the wall and hoping something sticks <3 ...

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
  13. Robyn

Robyn Active Member

My only concern with this is that, like I'm pretty sure Lennian mentioned, will dating a lot of characters at once cause certain consequences later on on the game? Or that won't matter and you can date as many as you'd like without worrying?

And I mean date, not just hook up.

14. Jasonafex

Jasonafex Team Amorous Team Amorous

We have an end-goal to make the town feel more alive with locations dates appear at different times, as well as calling you on your phone occasionally. If they do so while you are on a date with someone else, that would make for an interesting twist.

However, such features are very intricate and would take some time to implement, we are simply prioritising getting the dates themselves in first.

Sardix likes this.
  15. Sardix

Sardix New Member

I'll get right on it, Im short for time now.. but tommorow morning ( approximatly 8-9 hours) I'll take a look at it and find the direct route for ya.. I'll post the bug report.

16. Cyborg-Lucario

Cyborg-Lucario Active Member

I would prefer if you stuck with one character, though I can see the intrigues that could happen if you dated more than one person.
    So yeah, I'm all for consequences of this kind.

Luckily so didn't I piss her off when playing, as that would have made me pretty sad that I made a character I can relate to angry or sad. :(
    So yeah, I think you did a good job so far. Though I guess some dialogues could have been more exciting.

17. Lennian

Feel free to create a thread on certain parts of the dialogue and point out how they could be made more interesting, some theory-crafting doesn't hurt :)

18. Cyborg-Lucario

Cyborg-Lucario Active Member

I don't remember it all in detail, So it means that I have to replay the game to see every dialogue.
    ...or I could just look through the footage I recorded to look at the dialogues. XD
    But when I find enough dialogues that may need an improvement, so will I try to make a thread about it.

19. RuBoo

RuBoo New Member

I like this idea. Though I mainly have eyes for Skye. If this is implemented and Skye is one of those who does mind, then... Sorry, Remy, Skye comes first and foremost.

20. Icefreeze

Icefreeze Member

Skye FTW! :D
    Sadly, @Lennian already confirmed that the Skye date path won't be complete in v0.3. D:

EDIT: My second would definitely be Jackie. Remy seems pretty cute, I suppose.