Shoutbox (Disabled)

Why do people not like Mercy, Skye, or Seth?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jomackson, Apr 14, 2017.

1. Jomackson

Jomackson New Member

I mean this in a purely to understand view points basis, as I actually liked these people for being I thought nice kind characters. Maybe I just do better in game as a supportive role, and that tends to click to them well. I don't know, I'd like to know why people dislike them.

Dusk_593 and meacat like this.
  2. ToxicStart

ToxicStart New Member

Well, I love them, they are my fav characters, specially Skye. I love Skye so much <3 <3 <3

3. Sir Wolf

Sir Wolf Active Member

Skye is one of the most beloved characters, and has topped many votes asking people who their favorite character was, so not sure why you are mentioning Skye. But Mercy is because some people think she made a big deal about her gender, which turned some people away, I personally really liked her, especially her personality and feisty attitude.

Nitrogena and ToxicStart like this.
  4. Ryeiu

Ryeiu Active Member Team Amorous Supporter

Not every one can see the beauty among the ugly. I am not gay but I thought all of the characters were unique/awesome in their own way

ToxicStart likes this.
  5. Skyshatter

Skyshatter New Member

I loved Mercy. Wish she could be a dominant as well.

6. Ryeiu

eh I wish she was a herm instead of trans then I, would you know....

7. SlyKudo

SlyKudo New Member

I love mercy skye and seth i found those character to actually be some of my faves. well mercy and seth atleast.

8. Pawsia

Pawsia New Member

Due to the game having a focus on multiple choice responses it's fair to assume that people that hate these characters picked very specific choices, naturally going through the game a few times over for all characters as far as I can tell they all have a natural bias towards a supportive/sweetheart protagonist, many more will also seem to accept your flirts(playful or otherwise) during such progression as well.

Sadly I haven't the patience required to go through EVERY single option so I can't confirm nor deny that past choices make a big enough or small enough of an impact on future choices(like say if you're an arsehole enough to get away with it until the final date or whatever where you be supportive or something :p).

Hopefully that can clear it up and hopefully I'm not wrong and end up making a fool of myself xD
    (in all seriousness I don't blame the bias towards supportive possible partners, it's too easy of a way to get into their pants though >->)

ToxicStart likes this.
  9. Ryeiu

Hmm good analyzing skills I belive that sums it up quite nicely

10. WolfLadyLouise

WolfLadyLouise Member

People have different tastes, that's pretty much the only reason, I think. I consider myself to be pretty open-minded, of course there are things I enjoy more than others, I have just finished Mercy's path, and I loved it to death, then again I also enjoyed Seth's path, just maybe not as much as Mercy's, but just by a tiny little bit.

SlyKudo likes this.
  11. Ryeiu

I thought mercy was pretty hot... Well still kind of do...

12. SlyKudo

SlyKudo New Member

^This explains how i felt xD

13. Pawsia

Pawsia New Member

Me again, Ran through the game again a little more in depth, turns out that not only do your previous choices affect future ones(I don't mean the path branching choices as that's their point rather the fixed choices that will appear regardless of previous choices assuming you make it that far) but also some of the choices spark...interesting... results from each character, seems a middle of the road type of person can reach the end but it'll be a little rocky to put it lightly.

Oh and for those who aren't aware, you can actually dance with Mercy but it's like a fairly thin path you must take to actually get there(it's typically the more supportive choices but you can get away with a decent amount of flirts ;3), anyway long story short let's just say it's "hard" to get her to stop, should note I'm bad at innuendos so whatever :p

Further more Seth seems to have the ability to be a tool if you give him the right nudge sort of speak, which is funny to me seeing as the Seth I managed to get on my first go and various other goes after that is a sweetheart, this is true to all the characters by the way just some are easier to trigger than others, speaking of which Dustin's intro is a minefield which I managed to fluke on my first try but failed so many times after that(I like to see what I can get away with, damn you team amorous and your flirty smartarse options!).

14. Jenie

Jenie Member

I'm not huge on females.. and i hated feeling like i was taking advantage of someone who seemed rather naive..
    I LOVE Seth, he's cute.
    And i freaking ADORE Mercy i just hate that the end scene is ALWAYS you on top.. she seems like the type it could go either way with but it never does... sadly.

15. HammerofDusk

HammerofDusk New Member

I liked Mercy, I loved Skye, I absolutely loved and adored Seth, personally I think he has the better path compared to everyone else.. The ending gave me the feels.

16. MirceaKitsune

MirceaKitsune Active Member

I have no idea, since I literally can't imagine how anyone could not like them.

17. Valerie Vanenza

Valerie Vanenza New Member

they were my favourites to be honest, especially Mercy, and I just really relate to Seth, so no idea

18. tukkee

tukkee New Member

Of the three, I like Mercy the most. She's arguably the most well-rounded and least tropey of the group, where Seth is the typical anxiety ridden, socially awkward, aspiring writer, and Skye is the manic pixie dream, "I hide my real self behind a facade" cosplayer. Idk, but those two just had the most basic level of characterization that they came off, too me at least, as boring and uninspired. At least Mercy's path dealt with serious themes of self identification and acceptance, which Syke did as well but not as... well. Seth's path felt like it was the longest so at least he got some development, but in the end it just boiled down to "thanks for believing in me, let's fuck".

19. Silicon Wolf

Silicon Wolf New Member Team Amorous Supporter

A big thing about Seth that's fairly objective isn't just him, but the story pacing. It's slow! If someone wants a thrilling character, they're going to fall asleep. But I felt that didn't stop me from feeling he's as cute as a kitten and the sweetest thing since sugar.

Personally, I can't bother with Dustin, I think it is. The lion that's always toying with your responses and ends up coming off like an ass every other second to me. I don't care how emotional a story he may have, I'll probably never do that story without a guide, I just can't be bothered.

20. Tussive

Tussive New Member

Shouldn't be -that- hard to figure out.

With Mercy there's the simple stuff first: most of her dates are really boring. All other characters start off with a bang, giving you an opportunity to see what they're like at a glance and give you an idea of what their story is going to be about. With Mercy you...go running and talk about her schlong. It's an exceedingly weak first impression and that proceeds into an equally limp date two where you discover nothing new, don't get any particularly fun interactions, and have no idea where this is supposed to be going. It's not till the third and final date that you get to see a glimpse of anything resembling her actual life and it gets cut fairly short for a sex scene that doesn't (or rather only v. esoterically does since her route still needs to be cleaned up to a rather large extent) take into account the dynamics you've built up to then. Basically there's no story to it at all and it doesn't give you much of her fun personality; just some generic dates peppered with mild dong drama that fails to carry it and never truly comes together into a story. Compared to the earlier three date structures hers is severely lacking.

And on the back of that people can easily write her off for being nothing more than a token train since the nonexistant story arc doesn't really give her a chance to be anything else (not to mention that she easily has the most potential to have a dynamic top/bottom mechanic that doesn't feel forced or lame but it squanders all that as it is now). "Disappointing" would be the terse answer for Mercy.
    (Mercy)

Seth wears all his problems on his sleeve. He's self-centered, self-absorbed, and more than a bit of a poser - but if you call him out on any of this, tease him for it, or do anything other than play into his chuu2 ~writerly~ persona he gives you the cold shoulder, proving that he also has no sense of humor or self-awareness.

His date structure's a bit odd, too. The first one does well enough to give you an idea of who he is: trust fund brat who idolizes a Stephen King type yet doesn't have the wherewithal to get it going on his own and needs more than a bit of validation. If the PC provides some of that he'll be appreciative but the second date shows a very strange level of attachment that they didn't establish in the first. The PC has every right to be pissed at him for seemingly using him like an emotional vampire but at the same time...it was one date. We're all (well, probably) millennials here, ghosting shouldn't be -that- shocking. Especially after one little date that was entirely casual and could have easily been interpreted entirely as a friend thing. The level of drama in date two didn't connect with the tone of date one at all.

So (depending on how you look at it), his route was either ironically or expectedly, given that the writing itself suggests Seth is p. hacky, plagued by poor soap opera writing and Seth himself is easy to view negatively.
    (Seth)

If we're picking on Skye I'd say the potential flop point is trying too hard and also doing so disingenuously. Of everyone she's got the most blatant waifu bait and of the type specifically tailored to an audience of social misfits - and given who waifus are generally written for that's being even -more- blatant about it. The theme of her story, trying to hide from who she really is in the skin of prettier and more interesting characters, might carry more weight if she wasn't a knockout. Even the idea of her as a misfit doesn't hold much water when what you get from her isn't so much awkwardness but that she's pretty, kind, attentive, and passionate. In other words there's nothing in her personality or her appearance that suggests why she'd have so little confidence, why she'd get picked on, or even why she'd be single. She's -so- perfect a waifu (which of course includes the fact that she's a virgin) that it comes off comically unbelievable and any perceived flaws are just something we're told rather than shown.

One angle that could have been pushed, and one we get to see a bit of but one that isn't followed through on, is the idea that she does know that she's catching people's attention with the cosplaying and the revealing clothes and does it for validation owing to her being a late bloomer and never developing much confidence about it. It starts that thought but doesn't finish it (mainly because it'd take some of her waifu points away; people who do this in real life and in fiction tend to be promiscuous yet unable to manage an actual relationship).

So a criticism of Skye would be that, unless she's the waifu of your dreams, her whole package could come off as embarrassingly pandery and schlocky without the guts to really explore her issues fully.
    (Skye)

Since we're on the subject and all, though, none of these issues are -nearly- as bad as Remy. She's easily the worst of what's come down the pipes so far and her issues are so blatant that I don't think they'd be anything of a mystery to anyone.

First off: the writing -really- wants to bear down hard on this overtly cringey "m'lady, I've defended your honor" routine. If you try and avoid it the first time it's heavily encouraged you're hit with it again on the first date. And it's downright nonsensical. You could very easily have exchanged all of two sentences with this person before talking to the lifeguard and then you're encouraged to say that she deserves better. How would you even know? And one of the setups for this is that you're both checking him out and she asks you to talk her up if he's more interested in the prospect of her than you but she runs off like she's been betrayed if you're successful at flirting with him. Wasn't that possibility part of the deal?

The authorial tone dictates that you're supposed to hate the lifeguard, too, and for what? Acting like a typical college guy? Of all the "enemies" in all of these routes the lifeguard is probably the least offensive yet the options for "dealing" with him are the most extreme by far. His worst offense seems to be that he calls her a slut and fetishizes her age and weight in a very mild way. Are we acting like this character -isn't- blatantly supposed to be fetish material? PC descriptions only describe her as beautiful and right off the bat you're encouraged to establish a fetishy dynamic for it. The dom/sub setup isn't phrased in a more naturalistic way as it is in other situations with other characters, if you pick those options they specifically use the terms dominant and submissive in the dialogue so the character is not only fetish fuel but blatantly using the mechanic literally as a fetishy approach to the relationship. But it's offensive if the beach bully does it?

This might still work if the character was interesting but she's not. The first date is purely about hitting those fetish buttons and again playing into some lame white knight scenario. And this isn't even mentioning that the dialogue in this route is just outright terrible which only makes the whole thing even more embarrassing. All the awkward phrasings and lines come off as though the author doesn't know how real people sound when they talk; it's stylistically written and the style is "things socially awkward people wish they were brave enough to say but don't" (for good reason since it would make them sound like goobers and get everyone in earshot laughing at them). It reads like someone's fictionalized revenge fantasy rather than a character that anyone other than the author is supposed to like. Every other character and route has some strong points even if they can be picked on but I'm not sure I can come up with any positives for Remy or her story.
    (Remy)

Spoilered for easier reading.

KakeiTheWolf and SkyLeone like this.