Shoutbox (Disabled)

The Hammer Chronicles

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by MrPseudonym, Jun 9, 2016.

1. MrPseudonym

MrPseudonym New Member

[​IMG]
    tabSo, I'm learning how to use Hammer editor.

tabFor those who don't know what Hammer is, it's basically Valve's tool for creating/editing maps for source games. If you want to know more, there's a bunch of stuff on the Valve Developer Community, a lot more about Hammer that I probably don't know about.

tabWhy am I doing this? Well, I have a surplus of spare time, and I want to learn how to do this as I have always wanted to make maps for games, and now that I have the tools and the will, I guess I'm actually going to do something. I created this thread for a few reasons: 1.) I'm bored and crave attention, so NOTICE ME. 2.) I need somewhere to document my failures (and my success!), and what better place to do it than a public forum? This also leads to the next point, 3.) There's the possibility that someone on this forum knows more than I do and is willing to share advice, which is always welcome.

tabGoing into things, I have had some experience with 3D modelling software, but it's pretty limited, so I'm pretty much going in blind. I'll be making a map for TF2, which is a game that is fun. Also, I have made sketches of the map on paper, but I don't have a finished middle for the map, so I'm going to have to finish that at some point in the process.

tabI'll be uploading images of the map I'm making/things I'm learning how to do onto Imgur and inserting those into posts here, so there'll be a visual part to most posts. On top of that, I might upload the map files onto Dropbox and post those, so that people can download for themselves and look at my pitiful attempts at mapmaking.

tabArmed with only his wits, a good amount of tech-savvy, a bunch of YouTube tutorials, a knife, a mouse, keyboard, computer, monitor, and speakers, hand-drawn maps, and confusing tools, will MrPseudonym figure out Hammer fast enough to make his map? Tune in next time to find out!

2. MrPseudonym

MrPseudonym New Member

Update, day 4.
    A log of things:
    -Downloaded a decompiled ctf_2fort to view the size of things, for reference.
    -Attempted to alleviate subsequent confusion at the 'busyness' of the 2fort diagrams.
    [​IMG]
    You tell me what's going on here!
    -Messed with the map I'm making, still figuring out proportions.
    [​IMG]
    The project name is 'Guido', but the map name is 'basic' right now. The weird name is because I needed a name, so I picked one. Besides, cp_guido sounds right to me.
    END LOG

tabSo, today was mostly nothing. I haven't been doing much, but what's new? I guess I should talk about the tutorials I'm using. Currently, I'm following TopHATTwaffle's series on YouTube. They're alright. I guess if you're new to this thing like I am, they're helpful. I don't know.

tabAnyways, let's talk about plans. So, this is going to be a TF2 map that's going to use the Control Points gamemode, and the concepts show what is in all honesty too many points. Like, way too many points. Like, eleven fucking points. That's an obscene amount of points. That's more points than tc_hydro, and that's a Territory Control map! In the diagrams it's supposed to have five stages: one mid stage, and one second and third stage per each team, totaling five stages. The mid would have five points. That's going to get cut down to three points. The second stage would have two points. That's going down to one. And lastly, the last. That only had one point, so it's not getting cut down. It could also be played as a King Of The Hill-type map, and I'll probably edit the last stage to be functional as one. That would be cool.

tabSo, with those edits, this cuts it down into a five-CP map, a normal number of points for a TF2 CP map. Style-wise, I hope to make it look a lot like a cross between Costco, and the inside sections of cp_5gorge.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Think of it as a cross between the top and bottom image. Hell, I'll probably rip the skybox from 5gorge too!

tabAnyways, that's about all I'm going to be bothered to type out for today. Tomorrow I'll probably scan and upload the sketches to Imgur, post them on here. Until next time!