Shoutbox (Disabled)

[Spoilers] Skye Date Criticism

Discussion in 'Feedback and Wishlist' started by JackieTheDemon, Nov 20, 2016.

1. JackieTheDemon

JackieTheDemon New Member

I really hope this isn't all of it, it's sad to see that one of my most-awaited characters has the shortest date-lines in the game after over a year in development hell. None of the choices change the outcome of the conversation, some things just add more dialogue here and there but all choices eventually end up with the same dialogue, giving a false sense of choice.

When you choose "No" when she asks if you love her, you're actually saying "Not yet."

When you choose "Yes" when she asks if you think she looks slutty, you're actually saying "It's pretty revealing." and both choices causes her to say "Well the characters I cosplay have little clothing." or something like that.

Her story just seems really under-developed, you'd think there'd be more than "Go to the store with her, then go to a con, then fuck." There is no conflict, there's no build up, there are no bad choices, you just call her and go.

I really wanted her to be great, that Renamon outfit made her look really promising, but she doesn't mention Digimon once, she doesn't even mention Renamon. You'd think the character that appears in the credits would have the most developed story, but nope.

You could've easily given her a conflict with parents, friends, relatives. Or go to the movies to see the Digimon or Pokemon movie, or watch in her room, tons of things that could've been done to improve.

Oh well, guess I'll wait for Mercy to come out.

2. Leonid

Leonid New Member

Acyually yeah, it was not so bad at first, but ending made disappointed.

3. Lexy Dee

Lexy Dee New Member

Judging from your other posts, you've only played Skye's date path. So it's not totally comparable to anyone else as they all kinda have short-ish story lines. Maybe in the future they'd refine everyone's stories but it's alright for a game that's still in beta :D

Try the other dates as see what you think of those ;)

4. JackieTheDemon

Well, I have actually done them all, this is why I have made this post.

5. JackieTheDemon

Also, adorable flamedramon costume btw~

6. Lexy Dee

Lexy Dee New Member

Ohh my bad, I only saw your other post in that "Who'd you date first" thread is all. I'm sure it'll be updated in the future once more, if not all the future dates are done! :D

Aw thank you~! Had to choose a cosplay and chose that one <3

7. JackieTheDemon

I would've chose Dante, which is funny because that's what the other guy was cosplaying as.

8. Kooskia

Kooskia Member

It is my opinion, but I am not disappointed for few reasons. First I quite enjoyed the fact that this date was a bit more... relaxed? I mean, there was some personal drama about her choice to be a cosplayer, how she perceive herself as bad with the gray pelt, and how the protagonist had too some bad moment in school...

However I quite enjoyed that for once it was not that "difficult", and yes... the slutty (aka sexy) style is appreciated v-v
    I guess it's choice, and personally I like more quiet dating than full drama also in irl lol.

Oh... concerning the lack of reference for Digimon, I think they could not have stressed it too much. I recall at the very beginning off the project there was criticism for copyright use of Renamon, so my guess it's also they did not wanted to spend too much time about it to avoid potential criticism on that point.

9. Mylilsecret24

Mylilsecret24 New Member

I disagree actually. I think her date was fantastic. It was extremely well written as well with the inclusion of things in this world I never even thought of (fur-dying kind of being parallel to makeup). It was extremely sweet and well executed and I too would like it to be longer; but only because this is my favorite character, and more specifically, character story to date.

To me personally it is Dustin's story that fell a little short in terms of consistency and length.

He's kind of all over the place in terms of his personality and while that's not necessarily bad in and of itself- it's not written with quite enough connection or character explanation and therefore he comes off as a bit impersonal to me. I think his story needs to be extended in order to flesh out his emotions so I'm not left wondering how we got from point A to point B.

Skye, even though the story was short, was conveyed expertly as a character and it was very easy for me to understand and relate to her. Dustin? Not as easily.

However I loved both of their dates and this is of course just some criticism. I greatly respect all the work Lennian has put into this game.

10. JackieTheDemon

In terms of length, excluding Coby because dating someone you've spent your entire life with wouldn't take any effort. Skye's story is in fact the shortest of the 4. There were 8+ errors in the writing, all choices meant nothing, the only interactive things about it is that she says your name.

I was just shocked at how abruptly it ended and how stale it felt. For a character who is special enough to be the credits background, she was certainly a disappointment.

11. Kooskia

Kooskia Member

Understood. I think the choice to make this dating more easy can be disliked by some (but not by me. In my view, making some of the dates more easy it's nice. I mean... it is realistic, IRL dates can be quite mooooooooooore fast than that lol). Neither I found length particularly bad, I particularly appreciated the choice of the theme (issues with cosplaying-appreciating own identity) because it's intelligent in my opinion.

I agree with your point that the date ends a bit abruptly, but... that's more or less the main issue in every other dating. I think that once all the dates will be over, there could be some kind of extra content? Keeping in mind that staff told earlier how dates are supposed to ends without some definitive/close impact on the player's life.

12. Kooskia

Kooskia Member

Btw I don't want to argue Xp just you got your views, I got mine and others their.
    I hope you will enjoy the future dates

13. goldfish911

goldfish911 New Member

I mean, I haven't really run through any date path more than once, but if there aren't that many decisions the player can make during the date path...that's kinda a copout....
    My criticism lies more with the final scene, it just feels like one of the most clunky scenes in the game, maybe because it's really close to a full-body animation...it just looks too weird to ignore :/

14. StarfallRaptor

StarfallRaptor Member

Honestly, I think Skye's path is my favorite of the current five. You don't feel like you're stepping through a minefield of potentially harmful statements, there's no major drama, etc. It's just two people getting together, enjoying each others company, and having each others backs.

15. MirceaKitsune

MirceaKitsune Active Member

Skye's path actually ended up being my favorite so far! I can agree to a bit of the criticism, like not as much background about her past... but other than that I really see nothing bad at all. As for the ending being disappointing, that's sort of the case with all characters more or less... I actually found hers happy and conclusive in comparison, Jax for instance sort of just disappears and you don't have many hints as to what his future is after the path is over.

16. Oasis

Oasis New Member

I honestly think the Skye date line was adorable. Skye is such a lovable character and so relatable. Yes, I do agree it was short, but for what they have right now, it is wonderful. I wouldn't mind seeing it get developed even more!

17. servicenginxreload

servicenginxreload Member

Definitely would like to see it developed more, pretty sure I saw though they're going to focus on getting the other paths in and that expansions to paths wouldn't happen till at least 1.0, correct me if I'm wrong.

The path itself though, for what it is in the time it occupied was pretty good. The grammar/spelling mistakes was the only thing really that bugged me, I'm the kind that notices that stuff even when I try my hardest to ignore it (borderline grammar nazi probably), which is why I submitted a report on all my findings. I believe it was somewhere around 70 mistakes (does not include multiple errors in a single dialogue, so add some more), so some closer proofreading could be beneficial.

18. Potes

Potes New Member

Dustin's personality being all over the place? Hard to understand his character?
    I mean, you kinda have to read him between the lines, but he's not really all that difficult to figure out if you have basic social skills.

At first at the club he's holding up a facade so he might get laid and act out his frustrations at Var through a one night stand.
    When that fails, and you call him back, he'll ask you out for a movie simply because it'd be awkward to go alone. He tries to make the most of it and is acting more genuine as he doesn't feel the need to put on a mask.
    If the player pisses him off during the date, he'll be mad at him because he was sharing something personal with the player, but doesn't hold a grudge because he's used to the on again off again routine with Var.
    If he invites you to his house after the date, Var kills his mood again and makes him just feel shit.
    On the second date he's really starting to consider you as an alternative to Var and wants to test the waters in case you really are someone he wants to be with, or at least someone he'd rather be with.
    Before the third date, he's had to deal with Var trying to drag him back to the toxic relationship and he decides to burn that bridge because he doesn't feel dependent on him anymore because of you. It's a big leap of faith for him, but he doesn't want to be stuck in the same rollercoaster he's been with Var for the longest time.
    After he makes the big change, he really wants to turn a new leaf with you and finally gets to act out all his pent up aggression and insecurities (and blue balls) by railing your ass like it's going out of style.

I don't really see anything confusing in that.

19. Potes

Potes New Member

Oh shit! I got sidetracked and forgot to say anything relevant to the topic.

Yeah, Skye was definitely a letdown for me. Instead of a real date, it felt more like a sightseeing tour on tracks with a sign reading "free vagina" at the end. There was no weight, no impact, no influence by your actions. It felt a little condescending. I guess some people are into getting straight to sex without having to deal with "relationship bullshit" or having anything at stake, but personally I have no interest in that kind of a fuckboy lifestyle. Skye is basically a participation award for people who only want to eat the frosting of a cake and have no interest in substance.
    She sticks out like a sore thumb just to give people the thrill of an easy geeky girl who will cosplay your favorite anime character (assuming it's either Renamon or Lucario). In that sense, she really appeals to her core audience because you can just pretend she's actually Renamon or Lucario and you don't have to get invested in her real self.

Regardless of my roasting, she's really not a bad date. Her problem in the end is being compared to far superior dates like Seth, which puts her in kind of an awkward position as someone you can't have a thoughtful conversation with when you just got back from a heartfelt story of an aspiring writer who you mused to write a best seller and who then fell in love with you.
    Eh, maybe I'm a bit biased.

Perhaps people just like her because they're not into guys. Who knows.

20. StarfallRaptor

StarfallRaptor Member

Honestly, that was why I loved Skye. Whereas the other characters, you always feel like you're treading on a minefield of some sort (Making Seth upset, angering Jax, hurting Dustin), Skye is just... fun. She introduces you to her world, and you both sorta just...click.