Shoutbox (Disabled)

[Spoilers] Help with cooking minigame

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Uritinum, May 9, 2017.

1. Uritinum

Uritinum New Member

i 'm pretty stucked with the cooking minigame i just followed up all the instructions and i still fail.... ;w;" Halp
    Edit , after a bunch of times trying finally i made it... and i'm PRETTY newbie on the forum... so... how i remove the post.. or tell some staff to remove that?

Last edited: May 9, 2017
  2. Jenie

Jenie Member

Question is.. what did you do?
    I keep messing up!

3. MirceaKitsune

MirceaKitsune Active Member

Might as well watch this thread before I give 0.7 a try, at the risk of a few spoilers. Sounds like something I might get stuck at myself and would want to know in advance :)

4. rawr2bunny

rawr2bunny New Member

Onions, garlic, meat, carrots, sauce then wait for a few seconds for it to change color.

5. AdmiralSheppard

AdmiralSheppard New Member

I waited for it to change color and still failed...

6. Lennian

Lennian Dark Lord of Team Amorous Team Amorous

Tip 1: Pay attention to Remy.
    Tip 2: Find the sweet spot. Listen carefully to the sizzling and watch the colors. Don't undercook, but don't overcook either.

7. Jenie

Jenie Member

I've pretty much given up on it.
    I'm doomed to always having the fart sound when i mess up.. ~_~
    What's sad is i cook all the time.. you would think this would be easy peasy for someone like me...
    But.. nooooopah!

8. Xean

Xean New Member

Here, have a look at what i did:

Starting from the left side, add the top one first (think it was onions or sth), then just add the other 2 in order from top to bottom (so onions-beef?-carrots).

THEN add the tomato, and add herbs LAST. I have no idea how you're supposed to time the cooking though...I just turned it off before everything was black. Or maybe the onion was "brown".

9. Uritinum

Uritinum New Member

Yeah... After a ton of attempts finally i done... and really.. i think is exactly 4 seconds after the cooking start to get a colour

10. rawr2bunny

rawr2bunny New Member

11. Lennian

If your food becomes grossly black, you are on the brink of a fuck-up. I'm not going to name specific seconds or colors.

How it works right now is:
    Code:
    * Did you undercook or overcook?
    > Yes: Bad
    > No: Is the order correct?
    >> Not in the slightest: Bad
    >> Somewhat: Okay
    >> Yes: Perfect

12. EscapeEvade

EscapeEvade New Member

Is there a way to tell, post-mortem, whether you did okay or perfect? I've only seen a total f-up so far.

13. Lennian

You either get a pleasant sound (okay) or cheering (perfect). Fuckup is fart.

14. EscapeEvade

EscapeEvade New Member

Okay, I can get it perfectly, but for some reason after the minigame I seem to get stuck with no dialog and nothing to do other than open my phone and click "Go Back Home." More details below.

I choose to watch a movie with Coby and text Remmy later, and then I click "(Tease)." That's when the dialog box disappears and I have no option other than to open the phone to return home.

15. MirceaKitsune

MirceaKitsune Active Member

My experience with the minigame was fun: After reading this thread, I was decided to be careful and time it just right... yet I still overcooked and got total garbage. I was gonna leave it like that, but when I saw it made Remy so sad I was like "nope!" and reloaded my save. I tried again and well... got a perfect result on my first try right after :p

16. EscapeEvade

EscapeEvade New Member

Because of the error I'm seeing above, I had to try the minigame several times. I got it perfectly each time by combining two of the posts in this thread.

17. Leethar

Leethar New Member

This mini game makes NO sense to me at all. I have no idea what I'm doing and there are no cues in the mini game that I can identify. According to the posts above, I should be looking for two cues:
    1-sound. Well, the moment I put an ingredient in the pan I get a sizzle that lasts for 1/4 to 1/2 second and then no more sound.
    2-Color change. According to above, I should observe a color change as things cook. I don't. The onions have a light brownish color to them as soon as they hit the pan, the meat is instantly browned, etc. nothing changes color from the moment it is added; even after waiting 20 seconds.
    My final dish looks just like the one in the pic posted above every time, no matter what I do but once it's on the plate it's horrid.

I applaud the Devs for trying to make something different and fitting for the senerio, but there are some serious flaws here. Outside of whatever it is that seems to not be clicking for me (possibly a bug of some kind, possibly me just not able to catch something), the structure of the game is lacking any kind of feedback to help the player learn what they did wrong. As a result, it becomes an endless loop of try-FAIL, try-FAIL, try-FAIL, etc. I don't mind a challenge or getting something wrong as long as I can learn how to improve via some method other than completely guessing. Failing like this just turns me off of the game in general and makes me second guess how much faith I have in the game creators on content not yet seen/developed. I'm not trying to be insulting here but be bluntly honest with how this impacts player reaction to the game. Heck, you're tracking the order and timing to get the end results; having Remy SAY what was wrong would be helpful and add very little code. At least then, even if I can't understand what clues I'm suppose to be picking up I'd have a chance at getting lucky. It also doesn't help that this mini game is over 100 clicks, 4 scene loads, and about a half dozen choices away from the closest save opportunity.

18. Lennian

The only point where sound/color matters is the last part where you have to stop the cooking. Before that point all that matters is the order you throw items into the pan. The exact order will be rehearsed by Remy prior to the mini-game.

Better yet, the right order is already laid out for you! First top-left to bottom-left, then top-right to bottom-right.

About three mississippi's

It's also worth mentioning the outcome of the mini-game has little impact on anything in the Remy path if you keep her happy in other ways.

19. Leethar

Leethar New Member

Edit: OK, I got it right finally and understand what I was doing wrong with the timing. After you add the last ingredient, you can't consider it added (for timing) until after the "Stop Cooking" button appears. For someone who cooks a lot, this feels wrong since the amount of time it's been in ends up twice everything else and we were expressly cautioned to avoid that.

While that may be mechanically correct, there is a problem with that argument. Players are supposed to have an emotional reaction to the characters, we're suppose to care about them while we play. Caring about the makes us connect with them and we get a lot more out of the game. The "test" Remy's friend puts you though right before this mini game is all about whether the MC cares or not. Remy's background and flaws/foibles are designed to get you to care. As MirceaKitsune mentioned above, Rem's reaction is pretty big if you fail. stating that it's no big deal if the player fails is basically the same thing as stating that her emotion reaction shouldn't matter to the player if you fail. That's directly counter to building emotional connection.

What does the mini game add to the overall game? If the player happens to get it right, it's adds a bit of "Hey, that was pretty neat". If the player doesn't get it right, it adds a large chunk of frustration over something that the player doesn't feel like (s)he can control. That's not a equal trade.

Now, I'm not suggesting the mini game should be scrapped but I am saying that it should be revisited and tweaked so the trade off is more balanced and in line with the goal of the main game. One idea on how to tweak it that comes to mind is to add inner dialog into the game. I.E. at the start of it, the MC thinks; "OK, what did she say to start with?" After the animation for that is done he thinks; "That looks ready. Now for the second one." And so on. (Edit: adjusted to fit what I learned above) After the last ingredient is added but before the option to stop cooking comes up (maybe during the animation of stirring), he thinks; "Now for the last one. Got to pay attention and get the timing right here." This more clearly communicates what the player needs to do in each step. (There are a lot of things Remy says to pay attention to with timing and heat at multiple points being part of it. In other words, there are many ways the player could guess wrongly on what he/she should be doing in the game and never know if the guess is wrong or the application of the guess is wrong.)

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017