Shoutbox (Disabled)

So any advice for someone wanting to get into the video game field ?

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by Napalm74, Apr 28, 2015.

1. Napalm74

Napalm74 Member

Could be computer things as well

2. Lennian

Lennian Dark Lord of Team Amorous Team Amorous

Depends on what you want to do. If you want to program games, start getting those skills. If you rather want to make 3D models, start working on that.

3. Napalm74

Napalm74 Member

hmm maybe level design not entirely for sure i was originally discouraged by the mathematical parts of design and programming

4. Lennian

Level design is a whole field on its own, and also pretty hard to get a job in just as that, given it usually requires to also be able to model. However, there are lots of (free) tools available to express your creativity in terms of level design: Unity, Unreal 4, Sketchup, hell, you can even go back to the good old QRadiant or even Hammer (which comes with pretty much any Source game). You name it. If you want loads of ready-to-go assets to play around with, just install Half-Life 2 on Steam and go crazy with its SDK. Might insult a few people here, but Hammer has had its best time tho, so stay patient with it...

Napalm74 likes this.
  5. Napalm74

Napalm74 Member

Ok thanks so basically just experiment with it?

6. Lennian

That's how you start, yes. Learn by doing. I started programming when I was 10-ish, on my first PC, which was a MS-DOS 6 with QBasic at the time.

7. Napalm74

Napalm74 Member

lol did u have dial up?

8. Lennian

Yes! I don't think my parents got cable before 2003.

9. Napalm74

Napalm74 Member

lol its a great sound that it makes

10. Scrydan

Scrydan Active Member Team Amorous Supporter Dark Army Enthusiast

Some words I suppose I can give.

Whether you work with a team or not, you need to be able to communicate well. People who are going to want to see your game will need to know everything that is to be offered. Everyone loves a good open dev who answers questions and doesn't leave any doubt what the game actually is.

Another is "keep it simple stupid". Now you may have heard of it, but basically it can be easy to overly complicate something. I ran into that a lot. Now it doesn't mean you can't think or work on more complicated things, but overall try to make sure you don't lose sight of the main goal. Adding extras and some more depth is nice in any case.

Start off small and work your way up! Get the core of the game done, then add. However, sometimes it is better to build with certain ideas in mind. So unless you want to constantly rebuild, make sure you have a majority of what you want planned. You will have much trial and error figuring this out.

---

Now sure there's more and I could say more, but alas some advice is more directed depending on the game you want to work on. The genre you pick, like for example me working on my RPG, will add some more rules and advice. Mainly just have fun. If you aren't having fun, chances are not many are either. And if you aren't having fun, then it is also likely your heart isn't in it; and people will know!

There are many jobs in which you work on something you don't like. Making a game SHOULD be something you DO like. Sadly many still do this, and their games show. So have fun, and make sure others are too! And one thing you can keep in mind is not everyone will be pleased. You just aim for the most within your actual target audience.

Now some rules are meant to be broken. It is impossible to always "envision" everything your game will have in one take. So you will scrap or redo sections of a game. You might think something is a good idea now, but suck completely later on. So in other words, advice itself should be taken with a grain of salt. Sometimes the best way to make something better is to work on what you want. If you have a dream game, work on a smaller project or two. Heck lots of them. So that by the time you get to it you will put all you learned into it and make it really shine.

Last edited: May 1, 2015
  11. Napalm74

Napalm74 Member

Thanks

12. DaraSilverDragon

DaraSilverDragon Active Member Team Amorous Supporter

Basically just go watch the channel Extra Creditz on youtube. They have some of the most comprehensive videogame design analysis I've ever seen, and they discuss games from a player, developer, AND marketing standpoint.

Here.

13. Napalm74

Napalm74 Member

Thanks man

14. DaraSilverDragon

DaraSilverDragon Active Member Team Amorous Supporter

Any time~
    Frankly I think Jason, Lennian, and Co. could stand to watch that channel as well

And that's not me trying to be cute or talk down to them - the Extra Creditz guys are, behind the cutesy art, some of the bigger names in the game industry. Their writer, James, is actually a consultant that has worked with pixar, eidos, square enix, and pretty much everybody that's ever made more than a million by digitally animating a thing going from one place to another.

Most triple-A studios could stand to improve by watching this channel. It's amazingly informative to anyone wishing to make a game at ANY level of professionality, and I highly recommend it to all.

15. Napalm74

Napalm74 Member

OK thanks man it seems great