Shoutbox (Disabled)

Fixed SetDllDirectory is sometimes overruled [1.0.2]

Discussion in 'v1.0.3' started by Loose Tail-Feather, May 1, 2018.

1. Loose Tail-Feather

Loose Tail-Feather New Member

Hello! I just downloaded the game from the website itself in the form of a .zip file. Once I extracted the files and attempted to run the game, I was greeted by an error message reading "Unable to load DLL 'soft_oal. dll'". The same error message says this may be because I don't have Visual C++ 2010 (x86) installed. However, after checking, I did in fact have that redistributable installed as well as the (x64) and (x86) redistributables for Visual C++ 2015. I uninstalled the 2010 redistributable and reinstalled it successfully, but get the same error message. Any tips on what I should do? Am I doing something wrong or missing something?

2. Lennian

Lennian Dark Lord of Team Amorous Team Amorous

Which OS are you running? Also, can you confirm that inside the x86 and x64 folders a soft_oal.dll is present? If not, revalidate your game files.

Last edited: May 1, 2018
  3. Lennian

I've enabled my serverside logger to see how many people are dealing with this in the latest version off Steam. I have to mention v0.8.1 is unsupported and known to be broken. Get the Steam version, it's superior and can be uncensored if that is your thing.

4. Loose Tail-Feather

Thanks for your reply! I’m running Windows 8.1 (64-bit). I’ve just checked, and the soft_oal. dll is present in both the x64 and x86 file folders. It’s probably worth mentioning that I got the same error when downloading the Steam version, which is actually why I turned to the direct download link from the website.

5. Lennian

Alright, please help me get to the bottom of this. I'm going to ask you to install all VC++ 2010, 2013 and 2015 in sequence.

VC 2010 (x86): https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5555
    VC 2010 (x64): https://www.microsoft.com/en-US/download/details.aspx?id=14632
    VC 2013: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40784
    VC 2015: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=48145

Download the x86 and x64 of both versions, then start by installing VC 2010 x86, test the game. If it crashes, move to VC 2010 x64, etc. etc. Be sure to test between every install.

If after a particular installation things start working, let me know which on! If things ultimately don't work, also let me know :p

6. Loose Tail-Feather

Thanks again for your effort in helping! Unfortunately, even after having followed the steps you layed out, the same error message appeared after every attempt to run the game. I attempted to run it once after every installation like you said. I did not install the 2015 redistributables because I already have them installed on my computer. I now have, in descending order:

Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 x64 Redistributable - 10.0.30319
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 x86 Redistributable - 10.0.30319
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2013 Redistributable (x64) - 12.0.30501.0
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2013 Redistributable (x86) -12.0.30501.0
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable (x64) - 14.0.24212.0
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable (x86) - 14.0.24212.0

as appears in "Programs" on my computer.

7. Lennian

Okey, different approach. Can you make a copy of the "soft_oal.dll" from the x64 folder to the root where Amorous.Game.Windows.exe is located? If that doesn't work, try the x86 version.

If this still doesn't fix it, I can only assume the files are by some freak accident corrupted and/or blocked by, for example, a virusscanner...

8. Loose Tail-Feather

Alright, so I did exactly that with the x64 version, and I got the same error message, but it instead said it could not load 'MojoShader. dll'. When I tried again with the x86 version, it made an attempt to run but crashed immediately. On the steam client, "Running" appears next to the game's name for a brief 2 seconds and disappears. I put the files back in their places, but now the game won't give me an error message at all; it just won't run.

9. Lennian

What happens if you copy all DLLs from the x64 folder into the root? That it moves to MojoShader means it succesfully loaded soft_oal.dll this time around.

10. Lennian

I've looked into this, and I'm pretty certain the above fixes it for you. The issue stems from the use of "SetDllDirectory", which instructs windows to look in either the x86 or x64. It is possible, and likely, that something in your system is hooking into the game (eg. an overlay or some other tool, I've seen reports of Intel GPA doing it) and calling this function too, overriding whatever I'm setting. I'll provide you with a new set of executables soon, so you can see if my alternative way resolves the issue for you.

EDIT: See the attachment for a fix, please test it out. Be sure to first go back to the state before you started moving DLLs. My suggestions would be to remove the x86 and x64 folders, as well as all DLL-files, then revalidate your game using Steam. After you've done that, validate the game still crashes, then apply the patch from the ZIP. Let me know!

Link: https://download.amorousgame.com/DllNotFoundException.zip

On a side note, this patch also contains a part of v1.0.3, so lucky you ;)

Last edited: May 1, 2018
    Loose Tail-Feather likes this.
  11. Loose Tail-Feather

It worked! Thanks so much for your persistence on the matter until now, I really appreciate it!

12. Lennian

So, just to reiterate. It works after you deleted all DLLs, revalidated the game and then applied the patch?

Loose Tail-Feather likes this.
  13. Loose Tail-Feather

Yes, that's correct.

14. Lennian

Great, thanks for bearing with me!