Shoutbox (Disabled)

Relations between characters

Discussion in 'Feedback and Wishlist' started by MirceaKitsune, Aug 1, 2017.

1. MirceaKitsune

MirceaKitsune Active Member

Amorous does a very good job paying attention to important details about the environment, which is one of its strongest overall points. Yet there's one pet peeve I've always had with how the characters are set up, which to me causes a feeling of things not being properly connected together.

My problem is the complete separation between dateable characters, and lack of any interactions between them. It feels unnatural that you meet and date and fall in love with all those lovely furs, yet they never seem to acknowledge the existence of one another at any given time. Seth, Skye, Mercy, Dustin, Lex... it's like they all exist in their own dimension, and each date is a game of its own within a compilation called Amorous. The only exception to this rule is Coby, who for most dates will ask you about who you've been with at the club then tease you about it, though even he never appears next to any of them.

Just to be clear, I'm not saying this doesn't make sense; The characters you meet at Amorous are completely unrelated as far as we know, so there's no reason given why any two should know one another. I'm just saying that it feels rather unnatural how you become so close to all of them, yet not one knows about any specific other. From some points of view that's actually a good thing, since I imagine the concept of cheating exists in the world of Amorous so each character might be heartbroken if they knew you were in love with 8 others... ironically this only makes it worse, as I've often felt guilty thinking "what would this character think if they knew I'm together with so many others... could I still be with them all, would they be mad at me"?

I put together a mental list of suggestions for this one, as there are many ideas on how the cast could be brought together at some point. Here are the options I thought of so far... none excludes another so if this is an idea worthy of consideration, maybe multiple approaches could be considered:
    1. My initial thought was to create custom double dates, where you could hang out with any two characters who's dates you have completed. For instance, place a call to hang out with both Seth and Remy, and let the three of you discuss things you enjoy! I honestly doubt this could happen, as it would require quite a lot of work at least on new writing (9 * 8 = 72 extra stories)... if it did however, it would more than make up for the disappointment in there being only 9 characters for the final version.
    2. Similarly to the idea above, there could be an Easter egg available to players who have completed the entire game (dated all of the characters); You could partake in a hangout where all of the characters get together, and you're treated to a special story involving them all. This could make for a very nice outro, if a good idea and story to bring everyone together can be found.
    3. Make each of the characters friends with another, and have them appear as side characters during their dates. Example: When Skye takes you to her cosplay show and you meet her friends, you could among them encounter Mercy who would turn out to be one of her friends... you get to have a short chat with both of them then the date continues as usual. Of course this might just add to the weirdness if you've already dated the alternate character: Either they would have to ignore their date and act as if they've never seen you before, either act as an ex (you dated them but broke up since), either admit that you're still dating them in which case your current date would feel cheated on so that's a game breaker (unless all characters would agree to being poly).
    4. When dating any character, they might ask you whether you have an ex or someone else you're together with. At this point you (the player) can enlist the other characters you've previously dated and talk about them. For example, Dustin asks you if you've ever been with anyone else before... you might reply you've been with a husky called Lex and a dragon called Zenith (if you've completed their paths), then go on to say a bit about them.
    5. Have side cutscenes which aren't part of any date, where you might encounter two or more dateable characters spending time together. Random example: When you're in the club at certain times, you might find Coby and Jax chatting at the bar and can engage in random conversations with both of them. This would be most useful when a free roam mode is implemented, and you could find various characters (background and dateable alike) doing various things.

2. SomeJuanRandom

SomeJuanRandom New Member

Maybe they should just reference one another. Let's say you finish Remy's date then go through Seth's and he'll tell you that a bunny taught him how to cook.

MirceaKitsune likes this.
  3. LimeDragon27

LimeDragon27 Member

I can just imagine it now.

Meanwhile in Seth's apartment

Your Character: Hey Seth, where did you learn where to cook?

Seth: Oh you know, took a cooking class, the teacher's name was Remy

Your Character:...Oh, uhm, ok. *Starts sweating nervously*

The every fucking dateble character from the game except Coby comes out and surrounds the character

Seth: Something you want to tell us?

Your Character:...Fuck

MirceaKitsune likes this.
  4. MirceaKitsune

MirceaKitsune Active Member

That is a good idea too, I can see it working out. Thanks for adding this to the list.