Shoutbox (Disabled)

Post-Amorous Furry Game

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by Lennian, Jun 18, 2017.

1. Lennian

Lennian Dark Lord of Team Amorous Team Amorous

With Amorous drawing to a close before the end of this year, I have been playing with some ideas based on feedback Amorous has been gathering.

Looks like a lot of people really like the furry dating sim genre, but at the same time would also like to see their own characters as well as a bunch of other game mechanics. I'm therefore contemplating making a community managed furry dating simulator, where you can add your own characters and the like, while I provide all the underlying systems, think like Mugen with Steam Workshop kind of thing built-in.

But on the other hand, I would also like a completely new thing... Maybe even some MMO elements, Second Life like for furries.

Whats your view on this? Would also be great if there is some sort of monetization model for me behind it all. I love doing free stuff, but reality is upkeep costs money.

If you do not wish to discuss ideas publicly, please PM me.

2. TheBlackDrake

TheBlackDrake Member

The furry dating genre is pretty good, but a big community might not create as great characters as meticulously crafted ones. If such a game could exist, I think it would need to have more options than Amorous currently have. For example, a sort of "city life" where you can go with friends to activities (like minigames and stuff), something that encourages player interactions.
    A game like Amorous but based on community created content is a good idea but I think it would need more post-dating features in order to have more diversity.
    You also could have a more "management" part like incomes and shopping in order to customize your character (the monetization model could work on cosmetics).

If I have more ideas I will edit my post.

PS : If you need some help for development, I'm more than willing to help ^^

3. Daxican

Daxican New Member

You're definitely right about there needing to be more options. Assuming that there will be a much larger playerbase than Amorous currently has, more paths to take is like, a must. I would love to have some minigames and shops around a hub much like Destiny's tower. A little social space for everyone to hang out.

Also, I would love to proofread the game. (Correct spelling errors and/or grammar mess ups) If you would like me to help hmu ^_^

4. Spleriia Emperor Splerii

Spleriia Emperor Splerii Active Member

I fully agreed on you guys.

5. Lennian

3D or 2D? I'm leaning towards simplicity and maybe a mix, but nowhere near a Second Life 3d experience where everything is possible.

6. Daxican

Daxican New Member

I think it should be 2d. Like a top down point and click.

7. Daxican

Daxican New Member

If you've ever seen Animal Jam something like that

8. TheBlackDrake

TheBlackDrake Member

2D/3D, I don't really have a preference. Maybe a sort of mix between "Fallout Shelter" and Amorous would be great.

On another subject,
    I was thinking about the game and its multiplayer part : would it be a realtime multiplayer experience where players can fully interact with each other, or would it be more like a Mario Maker type of experience like somebody designs a character, dating path, locations... and you play with what the user has created ?

The 2 are totally different and can yield 2 totally different experiences.

A realtime multiplayer would be more challenging to make. The direct interactions with players in a "Second life" style could be great but have the same pros and cons as MMO. For the pros : Role-Play, Much more options for interactions, stories made on the fly. The cons on the other end are : trolling, harassment and active server population management.

A "Mario Maker" style of experience would yield much more refined and detailled characters than a realtime experience. Some community members could be recognized and rewarded for their content. This type of experience could also offer "sexy times" if you know what I mean, which would be more than difficult to do in a realtime experience.

Maybe another approach is possible :

A sort of hybrid between realtime and created content : you can date community created characters, carefully crafted and interesting to date, but you can also enjoy playful times with friends in realtime like throwing a pyjama party, a bowling, minigames and such, to have a good time with the community without the hassles of harassment and such.
    This could really gather a community around a dating game in another manner than just dating crafted characters (which is most likely something you do alone or don't talk about much). It would allow the role-play part of the realtime with the refinement of created content.

Here is my opinion and ideas, I would be happy to hear your feedbacks on them. :amlaughing:

Daxican likes this.
  9. Whitelight41

Whitelight41 New Member

I like the idea of adding people but that would be a lot of work on the team to add new characters to the game. So it would be entirely up to you guys on what you do. Maybe you could add the moderaters or make people pay to add thier character? Just kinda like a fundraising project. : p but its really up to the team and the community.

10. Lennian

I'd have to add that this game will be made by me and whoever I hook up to it and has nothing to do with Amorous or Team Amorous. Hence I also posted this in Unrelated.

Amorous Fan and Daxican like this.
  11. Sir Wolf

Sir Wolf Active Member

I think a mix would work well, simulated 3D in a way or in certain areas and or scenes.

@TheBlackDrake I am conflicted on whether realtime or not. I want to say real-time due to interacting with players is part of the MMO experience, and do not let the trolling and such deter making it, anything that even has a possibility of interacting with players invites trolls, but all this takes is a reporting system and moderators to keep things in line.

I keep thinking of like a map of a big city where you can travel around to different areas and interact and do mini-games sounds like a lot of fun with friends. You can meet new NPCs at these areas and then get their number and start going on dates even.

12. TheBlackDrake

TheBlackDrake Member

Well basicaly that's the kind of thing I would love to have with friend interactions ^^ In realtime I mean

13. Connery

Connery Active Member Team Amorous Supporter

If you want to create a abstraction of 2nd life, you also have to keep in mind that this will need lots of resources if you plan on creating a centralized data- and usermanagement, P2P communication would rather be advised, however requires you to keep your code hard to tamper with. I don't think I need to list the various sources which can be used to attempt so. I highly assume that, if you planned on creating such a game with said specifications, the audience would be anything but small, at least if you made the game freemium.

Talking of 3D: For full 3D you need a completely other kind of artist, you need modelers, what could be very hard to find especially because this is related to the fur fandom. WikiFur only lists 11 of them, what should be and indication that full 3D could be nearly to impossible to realize.
    A 2D/3D mix as in Divine Divinity, assuming you know the title, could therefore be helpful.

Content-wise I don't have anything to suggest, the FM however should be a good source of inspiration for a in-game creator kit.

In terms of monetization: You can choose between being a hero and villain in terms of that. If you kept parts of the game regarding dates etc. behind a paywall, you would most certainly make some more money, however your reputation will shrink, what will backfire at some point in the future or directly after you introduced that kind of monetization. I'd go with a early access system in terms of such things, including betas and access to in-dev features.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
    SkyLeone likes this.
  14. FurLovingDragon

FurLovingDragon Member

This - this alone should be enough for many inspirations! A furry dating sim with MMO elements sounds really interesting (since I'm a fan of MMO's). That way, you can have something like World of Warcraft (if anyone knows that MMO) combined with a dating sim and all that in the world of furries, for example.

If you'd like that, @Lennian , I could think of an idea or a master plan to have at least some inspiration.

SkyLeone likes this.
  15. Sir Wolf

Sir Wolf Active Member

Pretty sure everyone knows what WoW is. :p

Though I highly doubt he is going for the WoW experience. More of a Second life style I believe.

Like Connery said I think 3D would be much harder to achieve and be resource intensive, so blending the two I think would be a good route to go.

16. TheBlackDrake

TheBlackDrake Member

Maybe the environnement could be 3D but the characters in 2D (in a Fallout Shelter style) but it would be for player interaction, not really dating.
    Something I find that is lacking with furry dating sim, except Amorous, is animations. For exemple Extracurricular activities doesn't have any animations, which make it less attractive.

17. FurMaster DJ

FurMaster DJ New Member

I think this would be awesome. another good long project with a promising end. I think that making it more versatile than amorous would be a huge improvement like more character development and more background and options for the main character. so maybe a game not entirely focused on dating would be the right path but deff keep that dating in there and it would be awesome to have some thing like that. If you want any help with this whether its script or anything else id love to help if its script I all ready do writing and stuff but if its anything else I can learn quick I'm good with just about anything mostly self taught.

18. MirceaKitsune

MirceaKitsune Active Member

This is definitely a very motivating thing to hear! I truly hope we will be seeing this project happen. Thank you for being awesome as always and taking the right choices Lennian!

That being said, I believe I should link two relevant threads of mine here:
    • Will Amorous ever be open source: If the successor to Amorous is to be an engine that people will be free to use, I definitely think that fully open-sourcing the project would make perfect sense. The most standard and advisable approach is usually GPL license for the code + CC-BY-SA for assets.
    • Procedurally generated characters: The idea of using some level of procedural generation for characters and dates rather than fixed characters would further make sense for a general use engine. Only putting this here as a means of drawing attention to the whole concept, to whatever extent it can be attempted.

19. LimeDragon27

LimeDragon27 Member

So from what I'm reading, it's going to be some kind of dating roleplaying game? I'm certainly down for it. :3

20. StarfallRaptor

StarfallRaptor Member

As a concept, perhaps use a refined version of the Fursona Maker, and have realtime interaction with created content, like minigames, etc. Something like Gaia Online has/had.