Shoutbox (Disabled)

Poll about the update

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lennian, Apr 24, 2015.

?

I would rather...

1. ...have a pre-release of v0.3 now and a have proper v0.3 release later.

62.7%
  2. ...wait for a proper v0.3 release.

33.9%
  3. ...use my idea (please comment below).

3.4%
  1. Lennian

Lennian Dark Lord of Team Amorous Team Amorous

As we're wrapping up most of the content, we're running into some nasty bugs, also exposing flaws in the things we made over time. Right now we're basically just hacking things to get out the update as soon as possible.

However, I wonder how badly people really want the update, and if they would sacrifice quality over content just to get their hands on it.

The reason I ask is, writing hacks on your code is no fun. As they all end up in the recycle bin at the moment we've released, so its a lot of work which in the end is just "smoke and mirrors". I'm therefor wondering if people would rather have a pre-release of v0.3, which is going to be (very) buggy, but still playable with new content (the dates are actually pretty fun!) Or wait for a proper release (with as less bugs as possible).

Obviously: a proper release would mean we take some more time, get everything as smooth as possible the proper way, and potentially upgrade to Unity 5 already.

Faolan likes this.
  2. Icefreeze

Icefreeze Member

Well, I'm not sure what to vote for, because I'm more concerned about time and the state of a pre-release. Because while I'm dying for v0.3, I'd like to see it as proper and playable and possible. But, if "a proper release" is going to extend the eternity that we've already endured, I'd hop on board with the whole pre-release idea. So, two questions:

1) If we were to have the pre-release, how playable would it be? I'd hope all the game breaking bugs would be out of the way, while minor ones are obviously understandable. I'd be happy to report any I'd find.

2) How much longer would a "proper" update take? Because if we're talking more than 3-4 weeks, I'm voting for a pre-release.

3. PsyDraggy

PsyDraggy New Member Team Amorous Supporter

Pre-release is always fun! :D

4. neonbass

neonbass New Member

Hmm.. if I remember right it was said that v0.3 well have a launcher for easier updates, If so wouldn't the Team update it as need so it would be like v0.2.5. If that's the case i'm for an early release ;)

Icefreeze likes this.
  5. Icefreeze

Icefreeze Member

Fair point. Would the update include the launcher? Because it that case, bug fixes could be pumped out more easily.

6. DaraSilverDragon

DaraSilverDragon Active Member Team Amorous Supporter

Agreed - if the prerelease includes the launcher client, I vote for prerelease. If not, I vote to wait.

7. Scrydan

Scrydan Active Member Team Amorous Supporter Dark Army Enthusiast

And joining in on this decision as well. If it does, then yay. Otherwise we can wait. :3

8. RR37

RR37 New Member Team Amorous Supporter

I really would like a prerelease. I've been pretty excited to play full dates ever since I played the first version. While I know that there will be many bugs, I feel that just having the update early will helps most of us be more patient for what's to come. I mean, since it's been so long since v0.2, many of us are pretty much checking the forums and patreon as much as possible, to get any new info. There's gonna be bugs, and I'm pretty sure most of us accept that. The game isn't finished.

9. Prenco

Prenco New Member

I would prefer waiting for the proper release, but I'm sure that most of us here aren't too bothered about a buggy demo as long as it's still playable.

10. simmins5467

simmins5467 New Member Team Amorous Supporter

New member here, figured I would give my two cents. Im for a not-so-perfect build. I figure, that this is like early access, I certainly don't expect a fully functional game this early. After all this isnt a full release, it's like a preview build for the game, so bugs, sometimes bad ones are to be expected.

Personally I always viewed preBuilds as hype builders, people know there are going to be bugs, but any update will generate buzz and anticipation to the next major update. Also there's always the urge to try and get the build as perfect as possible, but that never happens to any developer. I don't think anyone will really mind a few bugs, that is until the game is released. Then again there are always people willing to throw tantrums about anything, but those people are already complaining about no updates, so. . .

11. Hibari Xanxus

Hibari Xanxus Member Team Amorous Supporter

I'd prefer to wait. Its better that things are not rushed and have more time to be polished and organized.

12. Xean

Xean New Member

I'm content with waiting for a polished game.

13. Azure

Azure New Member

I say go down both roads.

People who are savvy with code should get a pre release to help with the bug hunting. People like me, who for whatever reason cannot make heads or tails of < Main/c: open exe> or whatever, can just wait patiently for the mostly bug free version where you guys sort out whatever got borked ><

... I really do wish I could learn to code...*useless.png*

14. Lennian

Lennian Dark Lord of Team Amorous Team Amorous

The pre-release would be very noticeably buggy, but still allow you to go from start to end and enjoy the story.

I briefly halted the launcher to put more work into the game itself, however, if as pre-release would be in place, thats where my focus would go in the short term. It was like 80% done.

15. DaraSilverDragon

DaraSilverDragon Active Member Team Amorous Supporter

I definitely say focus on the launcher. It'll make threads like this totally useless in the future
    And perhaps stick a newsfeed on it if there wasn't already, with news about the game and the changelog of the latest updates, perhaps with a picture of the most exciting new feature in the BG if it's a full version release rather than just a patch.

16. Robyn

Robyn Active Member

Gonna post what I said on shoutbox:

Why a prerelease? Look, I get you guys are hyped about this game, even I am, but it's better for them to take their time and release the full thing for when it's actually ready. What's the point of receiving something earlier if there's going to be another one, an actually completely done one, right around the corner? You won't be as hyped about it for when it actually comes.

I say no. Let them take as much time as they need and release the whole thing altogether. Hell, it's already a privilege that they are releasing these versions just so we have a taste about what's to come, but asking a pre-releasing seems too unnecessary.

17. RuBoo

RuBoo New Member

Oh, yes, that's it. Hype it up, hype it up. Let it build like the pressure in a sealed bottle of soda when you shake it. Let it build until it explodes.
    And then, when it's finally released, the hype's so big the release seems meh. A prerelease will dispel a bit of the built-up hype so it seems less meh. Which makes it better.

18. Reven

Reven New Member

I say a pre-release would be good. I've seen many a games (even one I personally pre-ordered) that decide to have version releases, but have multi-month spans between updates. They're doing better about updates now, but it really hurt them in the beginning, the main thing is to have a warning on the pre-release warning that it is buggy, and just an early build showing what is coming up in the next version, for those folks who just can't wait. I've seen enough projects either be called a scam, or actually fall down that route (a certain one with two Hs and a T in between comes to mind there), I don't want to see one of the better projects have issues like that.

19. Robyn

Robyn Active Member

That literally makes no sense.

20. Icefreeze

Icefreeze Member

Well, I see what he's saying. Too much hype can ruin it; everyone is way more excited than they should be, and because of that, when it finally comes out, they might be disappointed. He's saying the a pre-release would help release some of this hype while still building some more for the official v0.3 release. It might seem kinda off, but I see what he means.