Shoutbox (Disabled)

new guy in distress

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by waxwire, Apr 20, 2016.

1. waxwire

waxwire New Member

Hi guys ! soo i just made an account on the forum, and i'm kinda lost on the whole furry thing...
    i'm definely into it, and i want to "be" a furry, i want to join this whole awesome, open community...but i have no idea where to begin :/
    i tried to make my fursona on fursona maker, but i don't even know if this is a legit way to create it. didn't really find other options though.
    so if anyone can help, and kinda guide me on it, i'd really appreciate ^^ thanks already.
    also, first question : what exactly corresponds to cow ears on fursona maker ? i'm not sure i picked the right thing :/ also, what exactly do i write in a description ?

2. Yaruzaru

Yaruzaru New Member

Well if you like and/or have an interest in anthropomorphic animal characters you can be a furry, you basically just have to choose to associate yourself as one that's all. You can always start by introducing yourself and your fursona if you have one to the community, participate in discussions if you like and talk about what interests you about anthropomorphic characters with others.

I find its good to ask people about their fursona, i mean who doesn't like talking about the character they dreamed up. If you can draw you can always do art of anthropomorphic characters too, or ask around to try and meet up with others in your area if your lucky enough to have people in the furry fandom near you. There are always conventions for the fandom if you have the money to go or live close enough to one.

You can just as easily simply read posts and watch videos of conventions, you don't have to be an active member of the community to be a furry like i said you just have to choose to associate yourself as one.

The fursona maker is going through development as i understand it so there may not be everything you want there but its a good start if you want to roughly plan out your character, in the future i am hoping it will be something everyone in the fandom would be able to use for their fursona cause its a nice feature. Just go through the options on it one by one and see what you like but like i said it might not have everything you want.

For cow ears if you pick the bovine template i am pretty sure that starts you off with cow ears then you can go from there. As for the description if you have a story for the character that's basically what its there for, you make your character, name them and then put a story about them if you have a story for them. For example; Sir Wolfy the 3rd is of the royal house of growl who enjoys howling at the moon and gnawing on bones. You could do something more serious of-course.

Hope something here helped.

3. waxwire

waxwire New Member

Well these are some really good advices. Thanks ^^
    Youbknow what, i think i'm gon'a try to learn to draw anthropomorphic anatomy, and clothes and everything. This should be a good idea

4. PhoenixWizard

PhoenixWizard Member Dark Army Enthusiast

Yeah, I'm new aswell and i'm trying to join in on discussions and get into the community the best way I know how ;)

5. waxwire

waxwire New Member

Wich is ?

6. Sublime Lizard

Sublime Lizard Moderator of the Dark Lord Team Amorous Moderator Team Amorous Supporter Dark Army Enthusiast

Join in the shoutbox, a few of the members are almost always on, and one of us would always be happy to help.

7. PhoenixWizard

PhoenixWizard Member Dark Army Enthusiast

Trying to be friendly and get on peoples good side

8. Aziram

Aziram New Member Team Amorous Supporter

I'm fairly new aswell, been watching the fandom for a while but could never decide on a sona. finally ended up with a fox and starting to dig my way into it.

9. Sublime Lizard

Sublime Lizard Moderator of the Dark Lord Team Amorous Moderator Team Amorous Supporter Dark Army Enthusiast

Good to hear! Well I hope that any of us can be of assistance if you have any questions that need to be answered.

Aziram likes this.
  10. Aziram

Aziram New Member Team Amorous Supporter

Thank you!

11. DaraSilverDragon

DaraSilverDragon Active Member Team Amorous Supporter

As one of the resident Old Farts of the furry community (Show of hands, how many folk were around when Squee Rat first published her Furry Manifesto? Now put them down, you fuckin' liars), I can definitively tell you that there's no "right" way to be a furry. If you enjoy fictional characters with some proportionality of human and animalistic traits, you're already one of us.
    If it's the community you're looking to dive into, then furry art sites like FurAffinity, SoFurry (or as we called it back in my day, YiffStar), and InkBunny have a lot of great artists (and not just visual artists) with smaller communities pretty much cropped up just around them. Knowing your big-name furry contributors goes a long way towards being able to participate in discussions and be up to date on the massive circlejerk of drama that keeps most of the 'upper' community running like the League of Legends servers.
    In regards to a character, there are quite a few roads you could take. Many furries, point of fact, don't even have one. They just go about their normal human lives very humanly appreciating all the lovely media that is cranked out of the fandom, and sometimes contributing to it. Other people take the polar opposite route, and collect different furry characters like they're fucking pokemon (frequently literally, for both of the previous words). I've met some people with over 60 different characters they claim rights to - I purposely leave out the word 'unique' because like a fifth of them are recolors or made from bases. Predominantly though, you have folk like me that have one character that we feel represents us, which we use as our furry (or scaly) ambassadors in the online world.
    Basically, just be you, and don't do stupid embarrassing shit. No self respecting furry wants to be seen, for example, posting teen angst rant vlogs on yout- ...Ah crap.

Aziram likes this.
  12. Fluff The Sergal

Fluff The Sergal New Member

You wanna get into furry? There are like, a bajillion ways, none of which are rocket surgery. As soon as you call yourself a furry, you probably are. If you like anything anthropomorphic (with strictly attributes from Animalia), then you are able to call yourself furry. Like the art? Sign up for http://furaffinity.net . Second Life has furries, but it also has a lot of idiots and trolls (I'm an idiot).

Real life wise, just find a local furry group by typing your area's name and adding furry. Pretty simple, to be honest.... Googlewhyumakeshitsoeasyplssss

13. Blackfangs

Blackfangs Member Dark Army Enthusiast

Yeah I was in your situation as well a long time ago but I decided to just start but making posts on different topics trying to make small talk, reading up on what others do and make art based on furry things. Don't worry my friend you'll find who you are in this community if you want to be part of it, we're always happy to welcome a new member to the family with open arms

BlackHusky likes this.
  14. Matthew Shane

Matthew Shane New Member

Grumpy Cat.... not really but we love new people to scar.

15. Grim Scaleheart

Grim Scaleheart Member

I been a furry for 3 years, but i wasn't active at all be cause i was keeping it to myself, i never drew antros or followed furry community be cause i feared what others would think of me if they ever found out. I have only 1 fursona, Grim the Argonian, and i simply enjoyed playing with her in Skyrim and other TES games.
    Only recently i decided that it doesn't really matter what others want me to be, so i just started drawing antros trying to learn my self how to it. I joined Furaffinity and subredit for furries and i have couple of people i follow on DevianArt.

And now i am a much happier person. My friend found out but he doesn't really seem to bother. It's so good when you can love something freely. So i welcome you friend in Furry community with a big warm hug!

16. Skoon

Skoon New Member

I don't know who that is, but I've been in the fandom since 1998. I'm also long time close friends with quite a few gray-muzzles.

Face it, at this point in time even joining in the late nineties was over a decade ago. :D

Grim Scaleheart likes this.
  17. DaraSilverDragon

DaraSilverDragon Active Member Team Amorous Supporter

Haha holy shit dude, you're on here? Been a fan almost since I joined FA. And I'm not sure about how the rules work on this - can I still qualify as a 'grey muzzle' due to age when I've been silver the entire time?
    And... gods, don't make me feel even older x.=.x

18. Skoon

Skoon New Member

I thought I recognized that avatar! ;)

WHOA that winky face is terrifying.

Yeah I'm here. I'm really quite fond of this dating sim. Which is odd since, not usually my cup of tea. Coby though.

I'll qualify as a grey muzzle in ten more years. The world. Keeps on. Spinning. :eek:

19. RusterWolf

RusterWolf New Member

Mk so I am awfully new and I think I need some advice ;-;:amshy:

20. RusterWolf

RusterWolf New Member