Shoutbox (Disabled)

My road to nursery

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by Danny088888, Aug 9, 2016.

1. Danny088888

Danny088888 New Member

Well Hi, all,

I'm Danny, and as most of you know; I'm a nurse. Or at least trying to become one. I wanted to share this story with you because recently I've been recieving the question of how I decided / became a nurse. So to answer that; grab a drink and some popcorn, because this will be a loooong story :p.

It all started when I was 14. I had to drop a level lower education at highschool, because I couldn't get sufficient notes for specific subjects I needed to complete. That mainly happened because I got very sick and I just couldn't recover from that.

Anyways, because I dropped one level, as a "punishment" I had to take a 10 week internship at ANY company / settlement of my choosing. Ultimately, I decided on an activity home for people with a physical and / or a mental disability. I grew to absolutely LOVE what I was doing, just from helping those people with eating and drinking, to playing musical chairs and just talking with them really opened my eyes. From that moment on, I knew I wanted to work in healthcare.

Still the question remains; 'But Danny, how did you end up in a hospital, as a nurse?'

Well, as soon as I knew I wanted to work in healthcare, I decided to compare my personality to the different aspects of healthcare. I've always had a caring and social personality and I've never been one to just lay down on the couch, being bored and having nothing to do. I knew I wanted to work hard in order to achieve complex goals, and the reward of people being happy with the things I've achieved, which would give me that satisfaction I need in life. So I went on to study nursery. Got a few internships out of my education, which were mandatory.

My first one was in a nursing home for elders suffering from a very advanced stage of dementia. It mostly involved giving basic care (assisting in personal hygene, eating, drinking and toileting) and trying to keep the clients from vegetate (interact with them, doing exersizes to stimulate the muscles and the brain such as ball games and puzzles). I was also a contact between the clients and their families, answering questions regarding the client's health, current cognitive state and just overall condition. I really took a liking to this internship, because it required me to work hard. It was also the first time I experienced death outside my family circle. It helped me grow stronger as a person and as my role as "nurse". This internship lasted 8 weeks and in those weeks I got my first real taste of the 'care'-part in healthcare. I just motivated me even more to succeed and see more of the world of healthcare.

My second internship was in a psychiatric home, where multiple young adults lived who were suffering from a psychiatric medical condition (such as low IQ, Borderline, ADD and such). They all had their own apartments and my job required visiting them at their apartments and provide structure to their lives. They all had jobs at social work places, and my job was more or less offering guidance and advice, over having to help with basic care. In fact, no-one required that sort of help. After they got back from their jobs I just greeted them at the communal living room and drank a cup of tea / coffee with them. Once again, this was a real eye opener for me; the fact that people who are suffering from a condition still could function in our community really fascinated me. Don't get me wrong, I've always put everybody equal to eachother (whether or not someone suffered from a certain condition or not), but I've never seen it play out in "real life". This internship lasted 10 weeks. I learnt a lot about myself, the fact that I could impact someone's life in such a positive way and that I was suitable to guide and to give advice. All the clients just became my friends; they were roughly the same age as I was at the time. It actually disgusts me how many people these days think people like the clients, who I've come to meet and appreciate, are useless and don't deserve a place in a community.

But enough about that. After my second internship I started thinking about my future; where do I want to work and where would my personality fit in best? I've always strived to do something I love over something I'm good at. If I'm not feeling comfortable with it, I just backed out.

So after that, I discovered a hospital where I live close to offered an in-service education where I would be studying and working simultaneously. I always knew I sucked at studying; I've always learnt by looking at how it's done and not by scanning through some books and looking at words and pictures.

After my first day of working, I just absolutely LOVED it and I knew I belonged in a hospital as a nurse. Just the things you experience; the actions you take in order to save someone's life or at least assist in doing so... gave me a feeling of satisfaction beyond believe. The fact that families of patients came crying to me after saving their loved one's life... it's undescribable. I've come to work at many different departments of the hospital. I just love the diversity, just not knowing what's going to happen one second from the other and just generally BE THERE for people.

As of right now, I'm taking additional classes per september to increase my knowledge about diseases, techniques and such so that I can help even MORE people. I haven't graduated from my main education, and with these additional classes it'll (hopefully) take me 2,5 years. But I've already been enjoying it for the past 3 years and I know I'll enjoy every single minute of it.

Well, that's my story. If anyone has any questions, you can leave them here or send me a PM. I'm very willing to answer :D.

Thank you all for your patience and for reading this all.

~ Your nurse, Danny :).

Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
    Suzanne, Dracoil and KeatonTheWolf like this.
  2. BlitzTheHitz

BlitzTheHitz Well-Known Member

*wipes tears away* This is so touching, I think my heart stopped T-T

3. Danny088888

Danny088888 New Member

Damn it, I'm not working right now. I'll still save you though. CLEAR! *Applies Defibrillator*. There, feeling better? :p

4. BlitzTheHitz

BlitzTheHitz Well-Known Member

*gasps lightly* I never signed up for that Feels trip......

5. Kovy

Kovy Member

Ur so lucky Danny,

6. KeatonTheWolf

KeatonTheWolf Member

I see so that's how. Well thanks for telling us that story. I wish I knew what I wanted to do with my life. Sometimes I feel like I might be a bit too hard on myself.

7. LordWolfingston

LordWolfingston New Member

I feel bad for some reason like touching story and all and loved that you chased your dream. Just I guess I need to chase my dream job harder or something I don't know but hey good job yaaas.

8. Danny088888

Danny088888 New Member

Well luck was only a small part of being able to do this. If you REALLY want to achieve something, you REALLY have to go for it. Do anything you can in your power to reach your goals and even beyond. That's how it's done :).

9. Danny088888

Danny088888 New Member

Keaton, you really shouldn't. You're only 18 years old; if you're still studying, you've got plenty of time to look for that one thing that'll motivate you to get out of bed for early in the morning, that one thing that makes you smile everytime, from start to finish. Just try to go out there and explore; you'll eventually find that one thing that sparks a flame inside of you. I know you can do it :D.

10. Danny088888

Danny088888 New Member

Well if you feel like you finally found something worth to pursue, you should hold onto it as long as you can and try as hard as you can to make it your reality. It'll be worth it for the rest of your life :D.

11. Kovy

Kovy Member

Well im very very poor for one thing, im a mentally retarded looser, i cant get my dreams done. I have none in the first place

12. Danny088888

Danny088888 New Member

Well my advice would be to go out there and just look. Look for anything you'd like. Get yourself out of that deep well of thinking you can't do anything, because staying that way won't help. You'll find something eventually :).

Kovy likes this.
  13. Code_Doggo

Code_Doggo Member

Nice story , Sounds fun :amlaughing:

14. Raine

Raine Member Team Amorous Supporter Dark Army Enthusiast

Very nice story Nurse :)

15. Danny088888

Danny088888 New Member

Why thank you, my friend :)