Shoutbox (Disabled)

Linux/Mac users information gathering

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lennian, May 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lennian

Lennian Dark Lord of Team Amorous Team Amorous

As we're setting up a nice infrastructure for the Windows builds of our game*, I'm feeling the Linux and Mac users are left behind.

While I have spend some time on cross-platform launchers, it's a time-drainer. I eventually went with Qt and that seems to do what I want, although it's pretty hefty in size because of it.

Given our current tech is pretty much .NET based, the easy route would be getting you guys to install mono and then just run the .exe as-is.

But before I decide this is a non-regular Linux/Mac user other than on servers, I'd like to know: What would you guys prefer? How many of you guys actually already have mono installed for other things? Would you guys mind if things are less smooth compared Windows, as long as it works and you get to play the game (in which case, I'll keep things as a console application on Linux/Mac as that significantly simplifies things).

Let me know your thoughts!

* Don't worry, it also supports Linux/Mac builds already. We're just missing the launcher part to hook you up to download them! Hence this questionnaire.

Last edited: May 13, 2015
    mirrors likes this.
  2. DaraSilverDragon

DaraSilverDragon Active Member Team Amorous Supporter

well I'm windows atm, so I'm not really affected.
    I plan to move to linux down the line, but by that time this will likely be in full release >>

3. Asriel Dreamurr

Asriel Dreamurr Active Member Team Amorous Supporter

I'm a windows user so...

4. Lennian

Hence the thread addresses itself to Linux/Mac users ;)

5. Asriel Dreamurr

Asriel Dreamurr Active Member Team Amorous Supporter

Yeah right ! So like Darasilverdragon, i'm not really affected ! :p

[​IMG]

6. Captain_laharl

Captain_laharl New Member

I own a mac, i do have windows machines but my mac is my go to device.
    So what your saying @Lennian is the game is fully ready and capable of running on a mac/linux smoothly? And its just the launcher that would be hindered, it would be nice to have a similar launcher as the windows version with performance being the same but to be honest it would be nice if it just worked so we could download it.
    I can do tests on the current launcher later and report to the testing post, or on an official build if you so desire.

Wow that was long (and full of errors) so let me know what you think.

7. Lennian

Well, obviously the way you install things on Mac is completely different than Windows.

Most things are usually released through a .dmg file, which you mount and then you drag/drop the application to your Applications-folder (or the shortcut in the splash). My approach instead, to keep it as simple as possible would be either
    1) Let you guys install mono and then run our software through that
    2) Port the application to a native C++ console app and leave it at that
    3) Move over our logic to Qt, which is a cross-platform GUI. This will not require any additional installation.

As I'm not a native Mac/Linux user, I have no idea what would be preferred. I can image that Linux users generally wouldn't care if something is console-based given the nature of Linux (correct me if I'm wrong), but that Mac users aren't really used at seeing that.

But if you say you don't mind not having a GUI, as long as it downloads the game, then the follow-up question is: Would you mind installing Mono before you can use our software (basically .NET for Mac/Linux).

8. Lennian

Here's the downloader without any code-changes on Mac using Mono.

Schermafbeelding 2015-05-13 om 20.03.48.png

9. Captain_laharl

Yes mac has a very unique way of handling its apps, as to the three options....
    1) i know for some this is perfectly acceptable (lets say 15% of users) and reasonable, i personally dont mind
    2) i dont know about the terminal script in reference for others but i deal with command line allll the time (taking a course on network admin) so no problem there (30% of user base approx)
    3) most people (if i understand you correctly) would prefer having a straight application, no fuss and you can graphically see your progress but would be a bit more work on your end.

All in all i think a good alternative is a well made terminal script that gives progress and prompts users with different options (check update status, option to update and run). Personally i am unaffected by either options you run with

10. Captain_laharl

Is that a direct execute of the exe or do you have to launch mono and run it from the app? Never tried mono yet (downloading as we speak)

11. Lennian

Basically, I can package the .NET stuff I program on Windows in 2 ways, all resulting in a Mac OS X .app-folder with a nice icon and double-clickable.

1) I can bundle mono along with it, but no idea how big that is yet.
    2) Or I can leave mono out of it, and instruct you guys to download it yourself. This will result in a smaller download.

If you installed mono manually, you can basically run an .exe file by issuing "mono application.exe" (which I did in the above screenshot). When packaging it to an app, it basically does that under the covers without you ever seeing.

12. Lennian

The added effect of using mono (either embed or as a dependency) is that I have one consistent code-base right now, and dpn't have to spend a lot of time moving stuff over to native platforms.

Currently looking into it if I can maybe abuse the mono that comes with Amorous (Since Unity uses Mono under the covers) to also run the launcher.

13. Captain_laharl

I think having it wrapped so that users can just click it would be a good idea, some people are not so technically inclined as we would hope, so bundleing it together seems like the best idea, unless its 1000x larger than the original (say 500mb vs 500gb examples extreme but gets the point across)

14. zeebly

zeebly New Member

Linux user here.
    So far i've been running the app through wine, with surprisingly good results.
    Having to type "mono Amorous.exe" instead of "wine Amorous.exe" is not going to be that huge of a problem, so i'm voting for that solution.
    Just provide a decent step-by-step guide on the website to help the less technically gifted trough the process (youtube video?) and all will be fine.
    Having only a single codebase to worry about seems like a major benefit to you guys, especially considering updates are going to be more frequent after 0.3.

I'd use mono for the time being, and perhaps reevaluate when the game has "matured"

15. wuweiwolf

wuweiwolf New Member Team Amorous Supporter

Personally (as a Linux user), I'm pretty much fine with requiring mono, and actually somewhat prefer for it not to be bundled, as long as it's spelled out somewhere what is required. (E.g. what version of mono do you use and/or expect to work, is there some 32-bit vs. 64-bit requirement, anything like that.)

16. Lennian

Yea, I figured since overall Linux users are somewhat more tech-savvy. Will see what I can do about it for the release tonight! The launcher itself is cross-platform as it's written on top of Mono. Later, as things get more sophisticated things will get a native release.

17. Rinpoe

Rinpoe New Member Team Amorous Supporter

I'm someone who balances running Windows and Linux, but I'm definitely on board for any proper Linux testing down the line (I have five machines running it currently.) For now, yeah, it works well in WINE, I've only needed to install a font for previous versions. I have yet to test 0.3 on any of my machines.

18. dartacalus

dartacalus New Member

I'm a mac user. I already have mono installed for other .net apps. I don't see a problem with requiring mono; many other developers do it and I would guess many mac users already have mono.

19. Lennian

How did other developers tell you to install mono? Like, what did they link to? How did they instruct you to install it? Cause all I could really find was a full mono installation which also has all developer stuff in it, which is a waste of space. Please let me know!

20. dartacalus

dartacalus New Member

This is what I installed:
    http://www.openra.net/download/
    It simply asked me to download the Mono MRE and linked me to a mono download page. I just did what it said and everything worked and was straight forward. I don't see a link to the MRE, just the MDK. The MDK is only 200mb and I didn't question installing it. Maybe they discontinued the MRE?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.