Shoutbox (Disabled)

Indie Game Shoutouts

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by Lupin, May 31, 2015.

1. Lupin

Lupin Supreme Commander of the Dark Lord Team Amorous

I love indie games, can't get enough of them! For quite some time now I've considered starting a blog giving shoutouts to memorable indie games I've come across, but for now I'll just do this forum post.

Anyone is welcome to post here and I encourage it. There are quite a few worthwhile but obscure indie games out there that need to be shared.

General rules:
    • Only shoutouts to indie games, no AAA please (doubt they need shoutouts)
    • Any indie game can be mentioned, even your own (bonus points for the last one)
    • Give a short description, your impressions of the game and also a link (shoutous that do not have these 3 parts will be removed)
    • That's about it!
    I'll start this off:

quadrant

Link: http://quadrantgame.com/

A rhythm game where you time one of four key presses (re-configurable if you want) in time with the beat of the music. The correct key press is determined by the location of the block i.e. in which quadrant it is. Things start off very easy but quickly progress to hard, insane and nearly impossible. Yet it's super addictive and it will really put your reflexes to the test. The music is great and the game mechanics integrate really well with it. Warning though, there are a lot of flashing lights and colors and the game does come with a seizure warning.

I was hesitant at first to get it, the trailer didn't really explain how the controls work, but the game quickly sucked me in. The difficulty ramps up really quickly but the challenge is still fair. The game keeps throwing new curve balls at you along the way and each level feels unique. The game is short (only 3 levels) but there are proper achievements to go for (stuff like skip every 3rd beat but still win). I've managed to get an A ranking in Easy, an S ranking in Medium but only an F ranking so far in Hard. If anyone else gets this game, post your results here! I'm definitely gonna go for that S ranking in all the levels ;)

2. K3TA

K3TA Member

3. Wingz Of Death

Wingz Of Death Moderator of the Dark Lord Team Amorous Moderator Dark Army Enthusiast

this game is called : deadbolt.
    its not completed yet but it looks promising
    Link: http://hopoo.itch.io/deadbolt
    try it for yourself its really fun

4. MuppetNecking

MuppetNecking Active Member

There's a game currently being developed called SUPERHOT.
    I think a demo is currently available (and yes, it runs on the unity engine).
    Here's the link to it; http://superhotgame.com/
    The idea behind it is that time moves in a nonlinear fashion. In this case, the rate at which time moves is directly related to how fast YOU are moving. Meaning if you run, it will run at full speed, but if you stop, it will run really slowly. Super trippy (and a little tricky), but super fun.

5. K3TA

K3TA Member

Overgrowth

Link: http://www.wolfire.com/overgrowth

Overgrowth is a 3d action-adventure game for Mac, Windows, and Linux, coming soon from the independent game studio, Wolfire Games. All characters are Anthro.

6. OKTrite

OKTrite Member

I don't think this game really NEEDS a shoutout, but I'm giving it one anyway, since it damn well deserves to be played.

The Binding of Isaac

http://bindingofisaac.com/

This game is a Legend Of Zelda-esque dungeon crawler action-adventure game by Edmund McMillen and Florian Himsl that was released on Steam in 2011. You take control of a young boy named Isaac who's on the run from his mother after said mother is off to kill him upon hearing the voice of God telling her to do so. You, as Isaac, have to traverse every floor of the basement, caves, and depths until you reach Mom, and defeat her in order to ensure your safety from the psychotic woman.

This game is seriously a gem. It plays very similar to the original Legend of Zelda, much like it's design, but instead of shooting swords, you're shooting tears at all your enemies. The enemies in particular are very varied even for the first floor, and each one of them has a different way they attack you, including some that don't even attack you at all. The tears, while initially starting off weak and somewhat difficult to control, can easily become very powerful and, sometimes, even OVERpowered depending on the items you get. There's even a bucketload of secrets and achievements to get, but I don't dare spoil them here. The original, it's expansion, 'Wrath of the Lamb', as well as it's remake, 'Binding of Isaac: Rebirth', are all available on Steam. Play them now.

K3TA likes this.
  7. DaraSilverDragon

DaraSilverDragon Active Member Team Amorous Supporter

Yo... BoI: Afterbirth expansion coming out soon. Hype!! Also g'night :p

8. Robyn

Robyn Active Member

The only 2 indie games that come in mind that I genuinely like are:

Battleblock Theater

http://www.battleblocktheater.com/

Battleblock Theater, or, as I like to call it, "theatrical genocide", starts off with you and your friends boarding along the "S.S. Friendship", happily sailing in the peaceful waters of the unknown ocean untill, suddenly, a thunderstorm turns your boat around and forces you to land on an unknown island. Upon arrival, you are soon met with giant, sentient, adorable orange kitties that quickly enslaves you and your friends, forcing all of you to perform in the most deadly presentations known to mankind and go through horrible obstacles for the sole sake of entertaining themselves with your ongoing suffering. Your quest is to survive all - or just enough - obstacles, rescue your friends, save Hatty Hatting (the most important thing in the game, you can't ever forget that) and get out of the island in one piece.

What I love about this game is that it is simply hilarious. The narrator - voiced by Will Stamper - is the best feature in this game. His voice, the way he talks to the player, his ongoing comments along the game, he is simply the funniest thing in this amazing piece of indie entertainment. Along with that, the gameplay itself is great. It mixes quick thinking along with strategy to solve all the puzzles located within each map, and each one's either gonna be easier or harder than the previous one, there's no inbetween. The multiplayer's just as equally fun, mixing the good old "good friends help each other" experience along with the "here, let me help you die 5 times in a row by the same thing" experience. The story is goofily good. It sucks you in all along the experience, but it doesn't force it on your face, so you can easily understand what's going on without having the whole thing being shoved down your throat.

An amazing, funny game, one of the first indies I played (the very first one being "Castle Crashers", made by the same people who made this) and I can easily recommend to anyone that likes light-hearted humor on their puzzle games.

Crypt of the Necrodancer

http://necrodancer.com/

Produced by Brace Yourself Games, this game is officially described as "hardcore dungeon crawling (roguelike) rhythm game. Move to the beat with the game's epic sound track or your own MP3s. Play with keyboard, gamepad, or even DDR pad!". You start the game playing as Cadence (holyshitafemaleprotagonist), who falls into a crypt while in the search of her missing father, a famed treasure hunter. The objective of the game is to fight your way through several enemies found within the crypt's dungeon, find your missing father and defeat the necrodancer. The catch, however, is that, since it's a rhythm game, you can only walk and attack if you perform the action on the beat of the ingame music all throughout the game.

Performed by Danny Baranowsky, the soundtrack of this game is simply beautiful. The very first level has some outstanding performance in regards to the audio, and it only gets better the more you play it. Although I'll admit that I'm stuck in a certain level myself, I always seem to be pulled back because: a) I want to finish the game; b) I want to hear more of its soundtrack as the game progresses. With that in mind, I don't think I can say much about the whole experience myself, but, as far as it goes, I strongly recommend it to rhythm game fans. It's catchy, it's fun, gameplay's simple and it's got its challenges.

K3TA likes this.
  9. Riley

Riley New Member

The Long Dark
    http://intothelongdark.com/

Story: So far little has been revealed in the story other than that you are a pilot by the name of Will Mackenzie
    who's plane was brought down by a geomagnetic storm in the canadian wilderness. It is supposed to be released in episodes, my assumption is that this is because it is in early access. I think it will work more like chapters than episodes so i doubt they will charge you for more "episodes".
    Game-play: In terms of game play you have to manage your hunger which is measured in calories and you also have to maintain your water, weight/inventory (in kilograms or pounds), fatigue, heath and temperature in the form of clothing and campfires etc., currently there is only sandbox survival with three difficulties and three maps which are now all connected.

The rest you will have to find out yourself!