Shoutbox (Disabled)

Help us translate Amorous!

Discussion in 'Translations' started by Lennian, Jun 7, 2017.

1. Lennian

Lennian Dark Lord of Team Amorous Team Amorous

Introduction

So you've read the announcement, now you are wondering how all this works? Great! Just head over to https://translate.amorousgame.com/ and login using your forum credentials. By default you are eligible to submit new translations, as long as someone else hasn't suggested exactly the same yet ;)

What am I looking at?
    The translation project is divided into a bunch of subprojects. These subprojects all correspondent to files we use in the game. For example, there is a "Prologue", which is the start of the game. There is also "CobyClub", which is how Coby talks to you in the game after finishing the Prologue.

By clicking on a project and then selecting a language (only English available right now), you can see the original text we have in the game right now, as well as the approved translation.

By double-clicking a row, an editor will open, and you can submit an alternative translation. Translations will always go through an approval process by an approved translation editor.

What do you have to keep in mind?
    When translating, there are a few things you have to keep in mind:
    - When the original text has special characters and tags, you have to include those in your translation as well. Take for example the ░-character, which is used to delay the auto-typing text in-game for dramatic effect.*
    - Do not attempt to fix slang. It's part of the character design.
    - Do not add special characters and tags.
    - Always keep in mind the context of the text.
    - Dialogue has a hard limit of 300 characters. Choices have a character limit of 25-ish.*

* These rules are currently not enforced yet, this is on the TODO.

Can use use the in-game debug info somehow?
    Yes, absolutely! From the debug info, the "Cutscene" correspondents to the project you need to open, eg. Prologue. Next click "Filter" and under term enter the "Current", eg. 0:27. Hit the "Filter"-button and it should present you the text you are looking for! This has been done especially for those who already made screenshots of typos and bad grammar.

Can I be a translation editor?
    Yes, you can, we need them even. But I do intakes first. Please send me a PM with some details proofing you are proficient with the English language.

Anything else?
    I would urge all active translators to form a Skype-group or whatever to discuss certain translations, or use the shoutbox or even the chat-server (once I fixed that one). Everything is negotiable with me. If you feel you need to break standard (eg. add a tag or reword a slang-word), please make a topic in this section.

This thing will be hot-hot-hot the first few days, after that only a handful members will most likely actively maintain this. Said active members will get a nice spot in the credits in due time as a way of thanking them for their hard work.

Last but not least...
    Be aware that vandalism will be taken care of swiftly and might even result in a forum ban. I will also be forced to do intakes for everyone then, not just editors. Please don't let it get that far in order to keep the bar of helping with translating low.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
  2. Sir Wolf

Sir Wolf Active Member

I tried logging into the translate page Lennian and it just came back with this error: "47574 Sir Wolf" along with my e-mail. That was when I used my username, when I try my e-mail it just comes back saying my e-mail is not registered. Not sure if others are having this issue or not.

3. Lennian

@Sir Wolf Oops, oversight on my part. Try again!

4. Sir Wolf

Sir Wolf Active Member

Working now. :)

5. efrain09

efrain09 New Member

When you mentioned translation, I thought you meant like translating to another language, like... Spanish ;)

6. Lennian

Also see: https://forums.amorousgame.com/threads/help-us-translate-amorous.1942/

7. TheBlackDrake

TheBlackDrake Member

Just a request to ease the proofreading : can you add a sort by debugID ? It would be a lot easier to see the context ^^. Currently if we sort by ascending date of translation it works but not for already edited strings

8. Lennian

Not really easy to do I'm afraid, the debug-id is part of a large string of metadata, which I can't "just" sort like that.

9. TheBlackDrake

TheBlackDrake Member

I see. Maybe if you can manipulate the metadata string a bit you could use regex to extract it and then sort it. I don't know how glotpress works but if this solution is possible it would be great!

10. Lennian

I added it with some hackery. The problem is MySQL has no support for regex like that, otherwise it was a piece of cake ;) Right now I manually manipulate and substring the metadata to get what I want and convert it to integers so I can sort them, its far from optimal, but it works. If this ends up killing my database I have to disable it though.

11. TheBlackDrake

TheBlackDrake Member

Thank you ! You're awesome ! :amlaughing:

12. DrHarp

DrHarp New Member

I was thinking about translating the whole game into Hungarian.
    I have time for it, and my skillz are good for this challenge. Also, I don't know how long I will be able to make something like this. If I need to leave, I want ot go out with at least this.

13. Lennian

The hotfix this week will feature all of the grammar fixes that @DrHarp, @servicenginxreload and @TheBlackDrake submitted and got approved (I may have missed 1 or 2 additional people, sorry!).

With my vacation coming up and by the request of @Tsumi who is going to do wild stuff to the existing dates, the translation site is temporarily offline in order to not let any further changes mess up one way or another!

14. servicenginxreload

servicenginxreload Member

Darn it, I wasn't done yet! :p

15. Lennian

How much more fixes are we talking about and for which dates?

16. servicenginxreload

I was literally going through every date and reading every line for errors. I had just finished reviewing JaxDate, so I had a lot to go. It's fine haha, I'll wait until afterwards. It helps pass the time working late shift

17. DrHarp

DrHarp New Member

I'm glad I was able to hope ya guys. It is a true honor to be mentioned by you.
    Thank you.

18. William777

William777 New Member

When I clicked on the link it send me to a new page but it was mostly blank and has "HTTP Error 404. The requested resource is not found." displayed.

19. servicenginxreload

Lennian has taken down the translation page for the time being:

20. DixbyRuiz

DixbyRuiz New Member

I would like very much to be able to help translate the game into Spanish