Shoutbox (Disabled)

Got an update for us?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Xean, Apr 9, 2015.

1. Xean

Xean New Member

"Would you kindly" bring us up to speed on what's been going on lately?

I know it hasn't been THAT long, but sometimes I get these "Morenatsu-esque" feeling of long (like, really long. Like, 1-2 years long) periods of hiatus between updates.

PS: Props if you get the reference

2. Patrigue

Patrigue Member

I don't trust this guy.

3. DaraSilverDragon

DaraSilverDragon Active Member Team Amorous Supporter

A man chooses. A slave obeys.

4. Lennian

Lennian Dark Lord of Team Amorous Team Amorous

We're aware that @Jasonafex said that an update was imminent in one of his journals, this is obviously the case. While it wasn't the intention to put a date on this release, what happened happened, so we therefore owe you guys a progress-update.

In order to provide you guys with the best possible quality we cannot throw it out in it's current state and will most likely take a few more days to get it right. In the game we currently have 2 full dates, together with some oeh-la-la, a mini-date, again together with some oeh-la-la, handful of bugfixes, optimizations and lots of new scenery and other changes compared to v0.2. So please bare with us while we make sure these huge dates actually work as intended! Aside from these things, a lot of setup work has been done for Bareback Street, a revamp of our servers so we can actually give you a legit download-link, this very forum so we, as a team, can communicate with you guys (and not just through Jasonafex).

After v0.3 is live we're going to use a much more transparent release model, basically releasing smaller things "when it's done and tested", rather than saving up. This could either mean 1 week with 3 small patches in a row, or 1 month with just 1. It will really depend on a lot of things!

That said, I'd also like to take this opportunity to address something else: We're very sad to see that in such a short amount of time, people are already starting to give up hope on the game actually making it to the end. We'd like to stress we're not an other team, we don't share their past, we're us. Based on the amount of time, code and content has already gone into Amorous (especially if you consider we started from scratch back in October when @Lupin and I joined the team), I'd say we've done a damn fine job so far.

Gamemaking isn't drag 'n drop, point 'n click. It's a tedious but fun process, sometimes things are smooth, sometimes you're smashing your head into the wall. Even though the game visuals might give you the impression of it being "just a simple game", on a technical level, it's just as complex as a fancy 3D game.

We all take pride in our work, we're all professionals in the field. Lupin, @Prometheus and I are all professional programmers/game developers with a full-time job, @Clane is a professional Audio designer. We know the drill and approach this game as-if we're a company.

Please keep that in mind when you feel progress is slower than you'd like. Rome wasn't built in one day, GTA 5 PC wasn't built in one day, Amorous isn't built in one day, but we can certainly try!

PS. With these forums in place, this will pretty much be the hub of all activity. If you have questions, feedback or just want to complain, do it here, and not in a comment somewhere on FA or Patreon. All the team members will also post regular updates on what they are doing and actively participate in discussions, which should significantly help reduce the lack of information between updates.

Nadia, Drede, Vandevier and 3 others like this.
  5. DaraSilverDragon

I mean... you guys are making 2 games and what basically amounts to a player-content toolbox program. If you make enough money off of these, you might even want to consider MAKING a company.
    It's not as hard as you'd think.

Er... getting the paperwork done and being declared a game studio, that is. Actually running the thing is exactly as hard as you think. Possibly worse.

6. Lennian

The point of that statement was that we're very serious about this, because a failure would hurt our pride.

7. DaraSilverDragon

Oh yeah, I understand that
    But I'm saying, if this all takes off well, and nets you guys a decent chunk of change... why not open up a fully fledged game studio? You all seem to have a lot of experience in this, it seems like it could work really well

8. Drede

Drede New Member

Speaking of GTA V PC, is it safe to say that we can expect an update before it's release(April 14th)?

9. Scrydan

Scrydan Active Member Team Amorous Supporter Dark Army Enthusiast

Unless GTA V gets further delayed. :p

But like a famous developer said, "It'll get done when it is done." First impression can be everything. And while I may not speak on the team's views, I know very well that they are wanting to show the fullest of their hard work and release something very worth the wait rather than something too broken. After all, if you wait X time, you might as well have it as polished as possible. Though it can be easy being locked into "it is not good enough" mode. Because I can get that way way too easily.

10. Vearos

Vearos New Member

"That said, I'd also like to take this opportunity to address something else: We're very sad to see that in such a short amount of time, people are already starting to give up hope on the game actually making it to the end."

I'd just like to say its perfectly ok to run into technical challenges and for development to slow down 'Its done when its done' is actually a fairly good way to go about doing things. Its nice to have an active forum too, I think the real issue is that in the last few months on the actual patreon page. activity has basically ceased. just the occasional activity log is enough to show that you guys are still kicking, yes you could justify they could come here and have a look around but you gotta take into consideration.. Most of the people pledging are likely, lazy, horny and fickle. the people pledging smaller cash are likely just throwing pocket change on a monthly basis and will probably just look at the patreon page and go no further. with several other Adult Furry games on patreon people prolly gonna jump ship pretty quick if they think the projects died.

And they do die! allot often people start a project get a huge hype from it then when they find out its harder to do then expected they'll procrastinate for a while then just.. kinda let it all.. Die. given the developers in questions prior commitments I'd like to think this isn't the case for this game and it sounds like you guys just hit some hard or time consuming ground to overcome.

I've got allot of hope for the project, I was sad to see a drop in activity logs. its been interesting to see the Artist turn to Animator then venture towards Game development.

Hate to sound like a critical know-it-all or anything like that I just watch -allot- of these projects and I notice basic patterns. I do not usually get involved in commenting on stuff.

TL : DR
    I think you guys should post regular activity logs on the Patreon page
    (even if its just a tiny bit of explanation of the code you've worked on or the odd sketch or doodle. just sign of life really)

Last edited: Apr 12, 2015
  11. Prenco

Prenco New Member

What the Patreon page would really benefit from would be a direct, easy to see link to these forums. It's important to make sure that people realize that progress is being made; I think that the majority of patrons and other users are still unaware of this forum's existence.

12. Vearos

Vearos New Member

It already has a link to the site. and in fact there's currently a link to this thread at the moment, just need some quick-to-see stuff for the quick-click browsing individual. For those projects I don't pledge to I often just look at the tab 'activity' just to see if the numbers gone up, if they've been inactive for a while anyhow.

RezonListig and Prenco like this.
  13. Lennian

We obviously realize it's an alpha, so we're not going for the "it has to be smoother than smooth", it can be rough around the edges. But with 2 full dates with a lot of events happening, it would really suck if halfway through things stop working, can't progress, your save gets corrupted, that sort of thing.

@Jasonafex had the idea to not promote the forum until the release of v0.3, to prevent people from going all "where's our update?!" Now that the forum is slowly becoming more active, you get a form of social control so that's less likely to happen.

Outgoing communication has been an issue since the start, we realized that, hence we now have a forum. That was a very important step, because people have to realize its not just Jasonafex working on the game anymore, but a whole bunch of people. We noticed in those 2 months of relative silence, Jasonafex was taking the blame for delays, and while we communicated what/why to him, that information didn't always end up in his journals. Now that the whole team has access to the community, things like that will go much smoother.

But there's obviously room for improvement. eg. Posting notices on Patreon just linking to threads is a good suggestion.

As a new and expanding team, things will need to fall in place, and that happens over time. Whats important is that our mutual goal is finishing Amorous. Once that's done, we've proven ourselves as game-makers and can learn from the experience for a follow-up title, because as you can see, there are already two more planned!

As for the 14th, we're doing our best, but from now on, every update is "when it's done". What I can say is we've fixed some of the bugs in the phone that were bothering us and are at the point of hooking in the sex-scenes again, so we're getting there. As said before, Amorous is a lot more complicated technically than you might expect, but thats where the challenge is too.

RezonListig likes this.
  14. GoodTime

GoodTime New Member

Thank you for the forum and posting that informations. ;) It helped a bit to wait for the next update. The game is amazing and i am happy to see, what you bring to us!

15. Lerp

Lerp New Member

i like pie o-o

16. Lennian

That doesn't really add anything to the conversation. Not to play the boogeyman, but yea... please don't do that. If you want to be random you are more than free to create a thread in the "Unrelated Discussion" tho :D

17. Lerp

Lerp New Member

i was going to but my mind went blank and all i could think of was pie my thing was just the same as others tho its nice to read of a update the only thing id ask for (unless i missed it) is to upload custom textures.

18. Icefreeze

Icefreeze Member

Er, custom textures? I think you'll have to elaborate, as I have no idea what your talking about. :3 (Although that doesn't really matter, as long as the admins understand)

19. Lerp

Lerp New Member

For example here is a fur id like to make in the game but cant due to a huge limit on textures in game (tho i understand due to it being kinda early) [​IMG]

20. Icefreeze

Icefreeze Member

Oh jeez, a texture like that? Not only could you not really implement that, but even if you could, how would be able to have it in any scenes? It's not like the game is just going to create animations by looking at a model like that... Keep in mind, all animations in the game are created using pre-coded presets. You couldn't just throw that into the game and expect it to work. I mean, I'm not extremely experienced with this type of coding, so you'd have to ask someone like @Lennian to be sure. You could request that they add more features to make it possible to create a more accurate representation of your sona, of which you could do here.
    http://forums.amorousgame.com/forums/feedback-and-wishlist.12/
    As of v0.2, there aren't really any feline body parts available in the character customization mode, although I would assume they will be available in future updates. Hope this helps. :D