Shoutbox (Disabled)

Fixed Game runs, but display is frozen

Discussion in 'Closed' started by IndubRen, Nov 20, 2016.

1. IndubRen

IndubRen New Member

I am having a bit of an odd issue. I see a lot of people having trouble opening the game or making a character, but I haven't seen anyone mention the issue that I am having.
    The game starts and runs, as far as I am aware, but the display does not update properly. I can click on things and operate the game as usual, but the only way I can see any changes is if I enter and exit full-screen mode. I may be explaining this poorly, so I will leave an example.

I load the game and start on the main menu, as usual. I can move my cursor and click on things, but the game gives no visual feedback. If I click on the new game button and enter/exit full-screen mode, the new game options will be displayed after the switch. If I click the "New Game w/o prologue" button and fullscreen toggle again, I it will then show the character creation screen, albeit frozen. Basically the game runs, but is frozen. It only moves after a fullscreen mode toggle.

I am on a somewhat beefy Windows Laptop.
    Quad Core i5
    8GB RAM
    GTX 960M with 4GB vRAM

I would post a log, but the game doesn't crash from this issue. As far as I know, I haven't seen anyone complain about this issue on this forum or the FA post. It may very well be something I did wrong.
    Hopefully we can find out what's causing this strange problem.

2. Lennian

Lennian Dark Lord of Team Amorous Team Amorous

I've seen this one a couple oftimes with people now, so lets investigate. Does the arm even swing in the main menu?

3. IndubRen

IndubRen New Member

Nope. If I toggle fullscreen, the arm will be in a different place. But if I do nothing, the game is completely frozen. The animation is playing, but the game just doesn't want to update the display on its own.

4. Lennian

Have you seen this in other games?

5. IndubRen

IndubRen New Member

I have not. I haven't seen something like this in any game yet. I tried reinstalling the game and updating my video card drivers as well.

6. IndubRen

IndubRen New Member

After some prolonged thinking I solved the issue. I considered everything but I had an epiphany when looking at the Intel sticker on my laptop. The computer was telling to game to run with Intel HD Graphics. A short trip into the NVidia control panel later, and I reassigned the default graphics processor to my 960M, fixing the issue. Hopefully anyone else who has this issue can use this for future reference.

7. Lennian

8. Deadline

Deadline New Member

9. Reelen

Reelen New Member

I don't suppose you could link a picture of just how you fixed this? I have my control panel open but do not see the setting for that.

My issue sounds a lot similar to yours. Every animation is so slow that it might as well be frozen, but tabbing in or out of the game, makes it appear in a different spot. As an example. I wasn't aware that the people in the club even had animations before I began spamming F2.

10. Lennian

Dual GPU people (usually in mid-end to high-end laptops) will have to force the game to use the dedicated GPU, not the integrated one (Intel). There are probably tons of tutorials on the web on how to achieve this :)

Reelen likes this.
  11. DrewtheMew

DrewtheMew New Member

Im also having this issue, on a desktop with an AMD R9 200, no graphics on the mobo. I do get the basic animations like the arm swinging and the minor bobbing in the character creator, but after that its a frame by frame, the intro doesnt load up at all and skipping to the club instantly freezes up once youre inside. all my drivers are up to date and I cant find anything on where to "dedicate" the GPU to the game if thats a thing.

12. Lennian

Up-to-date with AMD drivers themselves, or the ones provided by the brand of GPU?

13. DrewtheMew

DrewtheMew New Member

Everything seemed up to date, reinstalled Catalyst just to be sure, game is working now even though nothing really changed. Weird. Anyway, working now, thanks!

14. Raigner

Raigner New Member

I am having this issue as well i am running with

Processor: AMD FX-8350 4.0Ghz 8 core, not overclocked
    Motherboard: MSI 970 Gaming ATX AM3+
    RAM: G.Skill Trident X series, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3-2400
    Harddrive: Western Digital Black 1Tb 3.5" 7200RPM internal drive
    Graphics Card: 2x MSI Radeon R9 290X, 4Gb, 2-way Crossfire
    PSU: Cooler Master 1200W, 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power supply, Stock cables

Frame rate is obscenely slow about 3-4 in a 10 second period. moving it from full screen to windowed speeds the transitions along, but nominal game play and text crawl are at a near stand still, transition scenes can take up to 3-5 mins. i have attempted to dedicate a GPU but can not find a means to do so, and i am running the latest drivers.

Edit: Reinstalling latest catalyst drivers seams to have made the main lobby of the club work as smooth as butter, however any other area as wall as all conversations are still suffering form the same issue, i have manually disabled one of my GPUs to force it into single GPU mode and my MB dose not have any on bored graphics chip set. this still has not corrected the issue.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
  15. Lennian

How are things with the latest version @Raigner ?

16. Lennian

Last edited: Jul 8, 2017