Shoutbox (Disabled)

Forum: Empty captcha on first login attempts

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MirceaKitsune, Jul 30, 2017.

1. MirceaKitsune

MirceaKitsune Active Member

I've recently discovered an annoyance with logging in to the forums: The forum forgets my session and asks me to login every day, despite me enabling the "Stay logged in" checkbox. The real problem however is that it asks for one of those captcha things each login, but the first ones are always blank! I need to refresh the page several times until anything readable appears and I can log in.

Here's a screenshot of the problem. I only edited the Username and Password fields, the Verification field is exactly how I see it on my first login attempts. I'm using Firefox 52.5.1 on Linux BTW.

[​IMG]

2. skullemorris

skullemorris New Member

I get that too

3. Lennian

Lennian Dark Lord of Team Amorous Team Amorous

The session lost after one day is intentional to counter spambots for a while. As long as you keep checking back, the session remains.

As for the captcha. I have not seen that yet. Might be worthwhile to add this site to your adblocker exceptions.

4. Scrydan

Scrydan Active Member Team Amorous Supporter Dark Army Enthusiast

I use a simple spambot script and it works wonders. All it does is ask someone to look for a line of text someplace off-page for registration (with no links to it except common sense as it tells you where). While it may seem unusual, it seems less offlandish than purposefully deleting someone's session each day when "remember me" is supposed to mean just that by all web conventions.

The only thing that would make it more okay is that if it is limited to "first time posters" so to speak. Even then, it makes me feel that the "Remember Me" needs an annotation next to it that states this or a consistent connection to keep remembered. But that's probably just me as someone who is a full website builder who has done this for well over 7 years and close to 8.

5. Lennian

Lennian Dark Lord of Team Amorous Team Amorous

After some quick hacking, I modified the login procedure and new accounts are now the only ones that apply for the session expiration after 1 day.