Shoutbox (Disabled)

Floaty Animations

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by azuredragoon, Jul 6, 2015.

1. azuredragoon

azuredragoon New Member

The animations in the demo video are extremely floaty and overall "fake" looking.

Take a look at this article:

http://art-eater.com/2010/07/test-1-darkstalkers/

Obviously with the way the game is being made, squashing and stretching can't be implimented... but most of the other principles can be applied, like having a slow windup to a fast punch to telegraph a heavy attack, adding an arc to people's steps so they aren't the same eye level constantly, and generally giving weight to the animations as a whole.

2. Cerus Terica

Cerus Terica New Member

I also found it slow, but I chalked that up to this effectively being in you know... very early development. Things will improve over time.

3. Jasonafex

Jasonafex Team Amorous Team Amorous

Some want the exact opposite, requesting faster response times, meaning even less startup frames before attacks begin.

There is already head bobbing on walk/run cycles, we've added about as much squish and stretch we can to the models before it appeared uncanny since this isn't done with frame-by-frame. The majority of animations present in Dark-Stalkers isn't possible for a Spine game without requiring complete redraws. If you want equal production values of one of the greatest 2D fighters of all time, we need a comparative budget. This is one artist and one animator.

4. Ganerumo

Ganerumo New Member

As far as animations go you may want to go for wider, more exaggerated moves with a lot more movement on the torso than the current animations. Don't hesitate to make the character physically move forward or backward with some attacks, the backward kick for instance could use a bit of a dash backward to give it more impact.

You should also look into adding stop frames so that the game very briefly freezes upon a successful hit. This trick combined with good looking hitsparks can increase the game's responsiveness.

You may also want to increase collision boxes so that sprites cannot actually merge with one another, forcing each character to stay a distance from one another.

Finally, consider disabling jumping entirely for the time being. Jumping is the source of a lot of problems even in AAA games, so a small game made by a very small team of relatively inexperienced coders is bound to be covered in issues if you let the player jump around freely.

5. azuredragoon

azuredragoon New Member

No no no, faster controls is good, but I was talking about the animation as they are right now.

Let's say it takes 0.6 seconds to throw a punch. Having the windup take 0.4 seconds and the punch take 0.2 seconds is going to look like it has more impact and weight than a punch that is one even slow motion that takes 0.6 seconds.

A light punch should be really fast. If you made it so the basic combo has a first punch that takes .1 second, a second punch that takes .6 seconds and a third strong windup punch that takes 1.2 seconds, that might be gravy. We won't know until we see it in motion though.

This is why I specifically said that squish/stretch is likely not possible with the game, but other principles of the article can and should be applied.

This is not what I said at all. Obviously there can't be animations as good as a game with 35 artists and 9 programmers. What I was recommending was taking some of the lessons and cues from Darkstalkers involving motion and impact. Again, please read the article as it has a lot of great advice and tips for making 2d characters really feel right when they're fighting.

That said, after having played the game, I can say that the most jarring animation is the running animation, which is probably worth drawing side views for.

6. azuredragoon

azuredragoon New Member

Man, I hate to say this but I think what might be best for the game is to have three "poses" to work with.

First is the 3/4 perspective we have now, for walking and some attacks.

Second is side perspective, for running and medium attacks

Third is forward-facing perspective, for heavy attacks and jump kicks/running kicks

That'll be three times as much work for each character, but with the way spine does animations it will definitely be the best way to get better poses. The timing and weight of the poses need work too of course, as stated above, but I think having 3 set perspectives to pose the bodies with will greatly help the game's look and feel.