Shoutbox (Disabled)

Favorite Books/Reading Material!

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by MuppetNecking, Aug 1, 2015.

1. MuppetNecking

MuppetNecking Active Member

Title is pretty self explanatory; we post our favorite books, series, anime, etc. and explain why we love it. :D

For me, it's Journey to the Centre of the Earth by Jules Verne. He and H.G. wells are my favorite sci-fi authors, and this book is a big reason why. I dunno, when I read it some 10 years or so ago, it struck a chord and captivated me. Maybe it the was the core (heh, fitting) concept, maybe it was the imagery, maybe it's the nostalgia talking, I dunno. All I know is that if there's one book I'd pick up again sometime soon, it's this one. :amlaughing:

2. Tazo

Tazo Team Amorous Team Amorous

Soo. Many. Favorite. Books. Probably some odd ones too.

My personal idol of authorship is Ursula K. LeGuin, who is also a native Oregonian as well. I love the Earthsea Trilogy and nearly every subsequent book in that collected world.

The book I was most surprised to enjoy was The Legend Of Bagger Vance which frames one of the major conflicts of the Bhagavad Gita as a golf tournament in the South in the 20's. The author just hits the period on the mark and I'm a sucker for works that really resonate the time period.

kibbles likes this.
  3. soulus42

soulus42 Member Team Amorous Supporter

I think I have too many books that I like to choose from o_O

If I must pick, I will say Derek Landy's Skulduggery Pleasant series.

There is also Darren Shan's Darren Shan saga and Demonata Saga that I also enjoyed. I recall my mother got me one of his books signed by the author too. If memory serves me correctly, it was Book 7 of the Darren Shan saga that was signed.

Then we have C.S.Lewis with The Chronicles of Narnia for when I was younger, around the age of 10 or so.

To mention another book, I found myself enjoying the Lionboy Trilogy by Zizou Corder. We were going abroad and at the airport I wanted to buy a book to read for the flight (and first two days of the holiday). We found the book store and I went in and bought the newly released The Order of the Phoenix by J.K.Rowling. However, it seems they had a promotion or sale or something going on as they also gave me Lionboy, the first book of the trilogy, for free. I must say, the book turned out to be really interesting and I was glad to eventually get the rest of the trilogy when I had money to use.

And yes, I spent about 3-4 days of my holiday reading books. My parents were annoyed by this and would force me to go outside and use the pool... if only books could be made to be waterproof, then I could have safely read in the pool too.

4. kibbles

kibbles New Member

Sweet book geek jesus, yes. A fellow LeGuin lover! I appreciate your good taste. My personal favorite of hers is The Dispossessed but Left Hand of Darkness is a straight up classic and of course Earthsea is incomparable high fantasy. :3

I doubt I can easily condense all of the books I love into a satisfying summary, but I can think of some highlights.

The Island of the Day Before by Umberto Eco is hard to describe because it's dense, nonlinear and the prose is nigh insurmountable, but it's probably the book I've gotten the most satisfaction out of finishing and I've longed to revisit it for some time now. I've read a few of his other books, such as Occam's Razor and the more well-known The Name of the Rose, but Island was so thematically rich and beautifully composed that it stuck with me.

The Satanic Verses by Salman Rushdie is oh I don't know amazing. Rushdie has a such a fascinating way of playing with narration, equal parts hilarious and gutsy. So good.

Ishmael by Daniel Quinn is a book I recommend to people who hate people. I wish there were more like it.

Things Not Seen by Andrew Clements is this super sweet yet highly intuitive adolescent novel that pairs an invisible boy who doesn't know what's happening to him with a girl who is blind and knows how to keep a secret. (I wanted to crack a tepid joke contrasting John Green here but I don't want to detract. Clements won my heart long before Looking for Alaska did its work on the YA lit scene.)

Bonus guilty pleasure read: The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon by Stephen King. It's his best work next to The Shining.

I also read manga nowaitguyzdon'tcutmeoffiwannatalksailormooooon

5. Bourlingueur

Bourlingueur Member

To this day I still get shivers when thinking back on 1984 by George Orwell. That book was so depressing but so good. Unfortunately I think I lost my copy a long time ago. :(

White Fang by Jack London was my favorite for a long time when I was younger. Maybe it even contributed to my furry interests. Who knows?

And finally, On the road by Jack Kerouac. I'm sure everyone in the U.S. read that one in high school, but I actually only read it last year, and it was delightful. We like to think we're always more interesting than the last generation, but damn, the Beat generation was frickin crazy!

6. TobiasB

TobiasB Member

Watership down by Richard Adams, the animated movie scared me even more as a child tho.