Shoutbox (Disabled)

Could I make a third-party launcher?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by spamquest1, Sep 3, 2017.

1. spamquest1

spamquest1 New Member

I'm sure that everyone is busy focusing on everything EXCEPT the launcher at this point, but to be honest it could use a little work. The command line interface is interesting, to say the least.

I would like to ask if I could make my own trashy third-party launcher for the game.

I know, I know, some random guy asking to make a program that downloads from your expensive servers and messes with your login system immediately sounds like a bad idea. I don't want any of that right now. If I ever end up being dedicated to this, and my code is of acceptable quality to the powers that be, then I might consider it in the remote future. However, the reason I am asking this is so I can make it potentially compatible with the official servers.

To do that, I would need access to the JSON files and the vague outline of the server filesystem (only the download directories) so I could recreate it accurately for testing purposes, plus knowledge of your game update system if you want.

I'm just looking for a project I can do which might be potentially useful to someone in the future as well as being good practice for me for the industry.

(I am a senior year University student getting degrees in computer science and mathematics.)

2. Lennian

Lennian Dark Lord of Team Amorous Team Amorous

You are more than free to try, but you will have to try and figure out the API calls yourself ;) As long as it doesn't turn into a download accelerator. One download at a time. Most likely the firewall will kick in and refuse your connections.

A new launcher based on Electron is coming out somewhere this week, later on, we will also be switching to itch.io for the download-servers (while still having our own custom launcher).

3. spamquest1

spamquest1 New Member

Thanks! I'll start looking by myself. I'm sure I can find out the right protocol. (inb4 weeks with no progress)