Shoutbox (Disabled)

Amorous Forums Tournament?

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by Let's play a game, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Let's play a game

Let's play a game Member

While I was thinking of some stuff to do today I came up with an idea.

Let's inject some competition.
    While I'm sure we know the comradery of our welcoming forum why not have an annual tournament?

So you may wonder "But LPG what kind of tournament are we talking about here?"
    Well I think this is something you guys can decide upon. :p

There is only a few rules as with any tournament.

1) The games must be free.

2) The games must be able to run even on a brick of a pc (we want as many people to be able to join as possible).

3) Have fun :)

Now then here's a little thing about a schedule.

We have members from around the world! so times will be difficult if we had the tournament run at the same time.
    To resolve this I thought we could have 2 separate tournaments that work in tandem with each other.

• For example we could have it set where the 2 sides of the earth get play against those who have sun.
    While the dark side players have their side of the tournament the next day/ day before.

• When we have our finalists we have the light vs the dark side (now ain't that cliche). XD

Other tournament possibilities.

Now we're all here because of the amorous team so while they've entertained us let's entertain them.

• Art contest.

1) Best traced art (taking a piece of art and making a duplicate of the image that resembles the original as closely as possible).

2) Best original art.

• Stories

1)
      Best short story (cliffhangers are allowed).

2) Best short parody story (taking an original story and making it funny)

That's all I came up with so far but we could make this happen.
    It may take some time and it may cause some for the ones who are organizing the event, but could be well worth it.

2. Furor

Furor Member

For the game tournament I could help organising that, there are a lot of free competitive games, mostly MOBA games like Dota 2, League of Legends, Smite, Heroes Of The Storm or Heroes Of Newerth, or we can do something like card games, such as Hearthstone or Magic. For free FPS games I can just think to Warface right now, or something older like Combat Arms. If you want to play something like car games, I suggest NFS World. If we make everything through some websites like ESL or FaceIt we may be able to even make this a real tournament and place some kind of prize pool (not money, just handmade stuff from us like songs if you're a musician or draws if your a drawer or whatever you're good to).

There are just some problems we have to deal with:

1) Not everyone may know the games we are talking about/play those games, so we have to find something fun, that anyone is able to play and in which no one can have an experience advantage (for example, I have 1900 hours on Dota, it would be unfair for me to play against a newbie).

2) Even the games I listed before can have some in game difference between players since there are in game items that can give advantage to someone

The only game I can think of that would make us equal is Team Fortress 2. It's free, does not require a 1000€ PC and we can avoid to use in game items, plus I think we can somehow find a server or maybe we can ask to the staff of the forum if they can help us, and hey, maybe they can join too! Can we covince them to give some "prize" to the winner?

Last edited: Aug 6, 2015
    Let's play a game likes this.
  3. Let's play a game

Let's play a game Member

I think we should make the games as varied as possible.
    Card games require direct strategy as for the case like hearthstone the ruling would be for now just to use the basic decks that way there is more equal opportunity.
    As for the likes of cards against humanity it's more silly and just requires being funny so we could have it set for the middle of the tournament as a break.

Personally I dislike MOBA but I cannot deny the combination of skill and teamwork that is required to win.
    Granted the higher your level and knowledge would give you a distinct advantage but to combat this we could say something along the lines of the first tournament you can only be a max of lv 15.

TF2 I believe does have server customization as far as I know so setting set weapons would be relatively straight forward as far as I see it.

As for team Amorous I think we need to pitch the Ideas to them after we have the knowledge and schedule templates.

Finally potential prizes if the likes of prizes I think we start simple lets say first prize a crown (designed chosen by the community each year) of some sorts for their forum avatar that lasts until the next winner the following year, a unique trophy and a short story from our renowned pagemaster Tazo.
    For the 2 runners up I could do something like a tracing of their favorite charater (hopefully It wouldn't be something too hard because tracing takes time).

4. Furor

Furor Member

So the main idea is to do multiple game tournaments with both solo players and teams on various games, maybe we can do monthly tournaments, every month with a different game. If the staff can make prizes and handle everything it would be great, we may have a banner for the monthly winner/winners made by @Lennian and maybe @Jasonafex and @Tazo or even @Kabier can make the rewards, whatever they want (if they have the time).

For the games, we must search for free, fun games with light graphic and no experience advantage with the possibility of private servers or some kind of customization.
    Every monthly game should be of a different kind (like FPS, strategic, MOBA, card games etc.).

Let's take this month to organise everything and see if we can start from September.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2015
  5. Let's play a game

Let's play a game Member

Also if possible I think it would be cool to do a stream that way for those who miss the sign up or just want to watch can still observe the games.
    We could also get some commentators (if possible) for those who don't know the games and would like a little more than just game sounds.

So we should add if possible a spectator option to the list.

6. Furor

Furor Member

Now we are thinking big, we may ask to the staff to cast the games and comment them, as well as have a twitch stream directly on this forum so everyone can see it.

7. Let's play a game

Let's play a game Member

If you don't mind bud since you're the first to reply would you like to come up with games/schedule?
    I know one of the rules are for non hardcore graphic games but with my laptop it'd still be a struggle to not get things like freezing and some performance issues.
    Then run your findings and ideas back to me?

8. Furor

Furor Member

Sure, no problem, I can be in charge of the scheduling part if you want me to. I'll start think to the game to play in the first event and see if I can get/make a private server to play in.

Still, we need to know what the staff thinks about it, I tagged them on the previous post, hoping they will have a notification and read this conversation.

9. Let's play a game

Let's play a game Member

Cool, won't be able to start any artsy stuff just yet, but when I'm done this avatar I'll try out some concepts for the tournament logo.

10. Furor

Furor Member

Not completely sure about it, but @Jasonafex should have his Team Furtress 2 (that was a bad pun, I'm aware of that) server, so if he agrees, we can play the first tournament there.

11. Let's play a game

Let's play a game Member

Sounds good and would be appropriate. Start with a big ol' bang-boom-bonk-burn-slice-wrench and a medic XD